Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

My dealer sold me a Premier 20 Solaras with a 90 HO

My dealer sold me a Premier 20 Solaras with lifting strakes and performance sheeting. They told me to go with the HO given it has the larger displacement. The problem I am running into I cant get the RPMs to the sweet spot. I only get 5200 RPMs. The engine drinks fuel. I asked them why not the 90 hp pontoon series and they replied it was a 3 cyclinder and the HO has more power. I have found out even with all that extra power its not working very well on pontoon hulls. I am debating on swapping the engine for a pontoon series engine, I do not know the cost and will find out tomorrow. I have tried different props, 13.5 x 13 Rogue, that prop only peformed at 5000 rpms. I tried a SSP 13 7/8 x 13 and it too only got to 5000 RPMs. A very strange thing happened when running the two stainless props for full throttle for 2 min the engine started to drop in speed and RPMS. I have a feeling this engine is not designed for this boat.

Has anyone else tried an HO 90 on a 2 tube 20 foot pontoon. The HO is 80 pounds heavier than the Pontoon Series engine. I have a feeling that, 80 pounds on the transom and the fuel tank mounted on the left side is making the engine feel more like a four stroke and not being able to spin the prop at those loads.

I need help.

Thanks for reading.

Sam

Admiral

Re: My dealer sold me a Premier 20 Solaras with a 90 HO

The 11" SSP #763959 may be the one you need for a pontoon boat.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

Where can you buy that prop number? I am only getting 5600-5700 RPM on my three blade SSP With light load full fuel. I seem to burn a lot of gas and oil on my 150 HP ETEC Pontoon series.
Highlighted
Admiral

Mdhouston wrote:
Where can you buy that prop number? I am only getting 5600-5700 RPM on my three blade SSP With light load full fuel. I seem to burn a lot of gas and oil on my 150 HP ETEC Pontoon series.

Your Evinrude dealer can help you with obtaining the correct propeller.  What type and size prop do you have on it now? On a pontoon boat it is better to prop them close to the redline rpm at full throttle with a light load on board to allow for the heavy loads during the hot muggy summer afternoons when a crowd is boating with you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.