Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

New owner, new engine, looking for new prop

I recently repowered my custom 24' tritoon with a 2017 ETEC.  It came with a 15.5 x 13 aluminum prop and jumps on top of the water, tops out at 5700 rpm and about 35 mph loaded with family and coolers in moderate chop.  I am very happy with performance but want to replace the aluminum prop with stainless steel for it toughness in our shallow lake.  What prop should I consider to maintain or increase my performance?

*********************************************************************************
I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.
*********************************************************************************
Admiral

Re: New owner, new engine, looking for new prop

What is the model number of your motor? It is printed on the serial number sticker on the engine .

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

E200DSLABH is the model.  The marina mounted it as high on the middle toon as she will go.

I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.
Admiral

Propping is trial and error unless you have a dealer who familiar with your exact rig. Because your engine tops out around 5700 with the 13" aluminum prop, you may want to try the SSP-TBX stainless prop in 13".  The Viper is made in a 14" size if you can try one of those also, but the Viper series may not be the best choice for a heavily loaded pontoon boat.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks BlueWaterBill.  I understand the trial and error peice.  I appreciate the suggestion and you answered my follow-on question with your comment on the Viper prop.

Cheers!

Mate

I have a 23' performance tritoon (Starcraft SLS-3) with lifting strakes and G2 250HO.

Performed 1st water test yesterday using a Rebel-3 Prop 15 3/8 x 18, engine ran 5900 rpm at 49.5 mph.

What direction should i be heading with prop selection to improve performance, should I be going to 4 blade propeller or up in pitch on 3 blade.

My Boat Dealer is not an Evinrude Dealer (long story), so are primarily Mercury, they don't have props to trial and at $700 per propeller I would like to get close.