Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Oil tank not filling under hood from remote tank

I have a 2017 90 HP SNL with a remote oil tank and a tank under the engine cover.The engine tank has been running out of oil and causing the no oil light to go on causing engine to go to safe mode.I have been in the shop 3 times and finally had the oil pump replaced under warranty..When I looked under the cover of the engine after the pump was replaced the tank was basically empty and I spoke to the dealer who said BRP said the engine tank never refills to the black line on the tank but just a half inch on the bottom of the tank.This does not make sense to me,Also,I was told by the dealer,BRP told them not to run the engine over 5K rpm or the pump could not refill the engine tank fast enough.Again,does not make sense.Engine runs at 5500 at WOT.Any thoughts,folks?

Admiral

Re: Oil tank not filling under hood from remote tank

[ Edited ]

If your dealer is having trouble diagnosing your oil transfer problem, the tech can contact Evinrude dealer support for assistance. The system is an optional accessory kit, P/N  767511 or 768407,

When the on-engine tank reaches the low level, the low-oil sensor activates the pump inside the remote oil tank. The pump runs for a pre-determined amount of time which fills the on-engine oil tank between 1/2 and 3/4 normally.  Because your oil transfer is insufficient, attention must be given to proper pump operation and to anything that restricts the oil flow from the remote to the on-engine tank, such as a blockage or a kinked hose or a plugged cap vent.

If repairs are not completed to your satisfaction, you may email the engine serial number, dealer name, and brief engine history to   brp.care@brp.com .

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you,BRP is sendind a tech out to check out whether the system is rigged properly.The new oil pump should have filled the engine tank to the level you indicated so i suspect the problem lies elsewhere,perhaps loss of prime,hose problems as you have indicated.As to being told that the motor can`t be run over 5Krpm for 20 minutes or the oil pump won`t fill the tank properly,I am waiting to see how the tech explains that.WOT on this set up I have is 5500 rpm.I will update when tech sees it after the holidays.

Thanks again.Little by little I am putting together small pieces of the puzzle and your info is greatly appreciated.

Admiral

If the temperatures are below 40°F, are you using XD-100 oil in the tank?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Not yet,here in SC that is not too often,at least not when I fish.I do plan to keep the XD 50 setting and run straight XD 100 after the tech looks at the motor and determines what is wrong.

Admiral

LittleRiverSLV wrote:

Not yet,here in SC that is not too often,at least not when I fish.I do plan to keep the XD 50 setting and run straight XD 100 after the tech looks at the motor and determines what is wrong.

Good decision.

Captain

Bill, since the remote oil tank on that model connects to the tach, it was my understanding that there have been issues with aftermarket tachs and the oil pump not refilling.
Skipper

If that is the case I would like to know.This is rhe second tach that my dealer put in to correct the problem that is still in effect.I don`t fully understand how everything is supposed to work together,(the tach,remote oil tank,on engine tank,sensor on engine tank that tells pump to refill).Sounds like this is over designed making a tried and true system overly complicated.I will see what the BRP tech says when he sees my boat and engine after the holidays.Bill`s info so far has filled in some blanks for me and given me some hope.

Captain

Please let us know what the tech finds. I've only installed one of these and had to do some studying on the system. The low oil switch in the engine oil tank turns on the refill pump for about 7 to 13 minutes, depending on temperature. The remote tank connects to the system at the tach instead of the engine to prevent the low oil warning from coming on during the refill process.
Most likely your dealer did not follow the instructions to bleed the system properly.
Admiral

If you do not have the installation instruction booklet for the remote oil tank accessory, it may be downloaded from  https://www.marineengine.com/parts/technical_information/omc_5009194.pdf