Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Prop Question on New Pontoon Boat

So I just took delivery of a new Slyvan 8524 DLX pontton with the 150 Pontoon Series engine, the prop that came with the boat is aluminum and is currently 15 1/2 x 13 pitch as reading it's a general purpose pitch. I'm looking to move to stainless steel( previous pontoon useage with SS keeps me there). I have not had the boat on water yet to determine how this prop will handle the boat, my dealer stated Evinrude reccomended the prop and pitch. I realize there are many calculations that go into the prop, just wondering how this reccomendation came about ? also if the prop does work out after suing it would I'm to the same size in SS ? Thanks 

Admiral

Re: Prop Question on New Pontoon Boat

From experience and from past performance reports on similar rigs are what allows an experienced boat technician to suggest a certain size propeller as a starting point. The key word is "starting point."

On a pontoon boat it is best to select a propeller that allows the motor to run as close as possible to its redline which is 6000 rpm. That way when you bring aboard 10 people and their gear and want to go tubing, the motor will still be within the recommended operating rpm range. Work with your dealer to find the best prop for your application and type of boating.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Re: Prop Question on New Pontoon Boat

Thank You !!