Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Prop options for new 150hp etec

I am curious if anyone is running props other than evinrude on there potoons. wanting to compare props that are giving similar results to the Rebel. My application is a 22" Sport toon (3/4 center toon). I had a 115 etec with a 4-blade 15"  Rouge. The Rouge performed OK but would loose rpm's quick as load increased and the slow speed drivabilty was horrible espicially in reverse, probably because of the high rake design.

Admiral

Re: Prop options for new 150hp etec

What is the top rpm with a normal load aboard and your existing propeller?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

5400 but that motor 115 etec is getting replaced with a new 150 G1 . I bought it last summer with the 115 which is a little over pooped and could spin faster.
Highlighted
Admiral

Yes, that is very over-propped for a 115 HP on a pontoon boat. Closer to 6000rpm would be much better for varying loads. Have your dealer check the movable exhaust tuning valve for free movement.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It probably needs cleaned or the factory update because I was getting a random rpm drop a high rpm's like other 115's have experienced. Hopefully the marina will fix before the resale. I was supposed to pick up my 150 today in Grand Rapids but the weather decided to dump an ice storm on us overnight in Indiana. Crazy weather here we went from record lows -15 two weeks ago to 59 yesterday and today it's on it's way back to the teens Smiley Surprised

Admiral

Who is doing the rigging, install, and initial bleeding and startup of the new motor?

Skipper

Van's Sport center in Grand Rapids, MI. is doing the dealer prep. I would like to do the install myself but a local Evinrude dealer claimed it would void the factory warranty, is that true or just salesman B.S. ?

Also I was looking online for a 2017 factory service manual but didnt see any. I have a 2007 manual but assume there has been some changes. What is the most current addition for the G1.

P.S. Thanks for your input Bill. The access of valuable technical info from this website was one of the reasons I decided to repower with an ETEC. It was a hard decision because my family and myself have owned nothing but Mercury since the 70's both outboards and and I.O's.