Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

tritoon prop

I Just purchased a 2004 246 JC Tritoon, it has a 225 hp Evinrude direct injection, Model E225FPL SRB, it has a 14.1 x19 ss prop on now it runns out at 5800 rpm and 35 mph with 2 of us in the boat. Is there a prop I can put on that will lower the rpm 3-400 rpm but give me a speed in the lower 40s

Admiral

Re: tritoon prop

RPM-wise your rpms are pretty good on a pontoon boat. The revs will drop as you bring people and gear onboard and when the weather gets very hot and muggy.

Gaining 5mph with just a prop change may not be possible and you could not carry a load of people.  A 17" Rebel or a 19" Viper are possibilities for some speed improvement but whatever you gain will be offset by what you will lose at the bottom end. Don't forget to try raising the engine for less drag. Everything will be trial and error.

A pontoon boat should be propped at the very top of the operating range with a light load for all around usage. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.