Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2008 etec blown powerhead question

bought a triton with a 2008 200 ho etec with only 50 hrs on the motor from a certified etec dealer,the buy was a consignment but the dealer said he garanteed the motor was good......so i bought it and took it to chickamaunga sat 1/17/16   started first crank and sounded amazing,idled for 10 min to warm up,ran it out of dayton boat launch to the power plant ,i command gauges working properly, good water pressure ,fished for a few hrs then headed back as it was getting dark, get close to creek entrance and the motor blows up.......no alarms nothing just blows up...after trolling for two hrs in the cold ass dark back to dayton launch i load and come home........grand total of 55 minutes of my new etec experience is confusion..........No Alarms.......thought these things were designed to shut themselves down if there was a problem happening?  the very bottom cylinder on the drivers side has zero compression .......has any one else heard of this happening ? did i buy a lemon that only revealed itself at 51 hrs?

Admiral

Re: 2008 etec blown powerhead question

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, especially  on your first outing. That has to be heart-rendering for you.

A trained tech has to examine the motor to find out the cause. An 8 year old motor with only 50 hours on it would have  long periods  of non-use where the fuel system and injectors could get varnished or gummed up from  stale fuel sitting in them over the years. That could restrict the amount of fuel reaching the cylinder and cause detonation from running lean - as said before, a tech has to make that determination.

The engine's warning systems and monitoring systems are very sophisticated, but they do not monitor every single motor condition or the amount of fuel flow through the injectors - only the electical operation of the injectors and pump.

If you received a warranty or assurances from the dealer and the service department, you should be in discussion with them about the next course of action..

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

thanks for the reply, i was leary about buying the motor with low hrs like that for the same reasons you stated,took in to the dealer today ,it had a hole in the block so im assuming a rod bearing went out , the marina said they would take care of it one way or the other to get it fixed, they contacted the owner who in turn said do what ever to make it right with me so they are going to give me a new block rebuild/power head  with a 1 yr warranty......i could't have asked for better customer service from R and S marine in Cookeville,TN...........I am curious about the motor with this new information could this be caused by low hour older motor also, oil injector problem,or combination?  

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Without seeing the motor, I can only guess what happened based on experiences working on all makes of engines over the years.  Likely an injector could not deliver the correct amount of fuel due to stale fuel varnish, debris, or corrosion inside of it  Running lean increases combustion chamber temperatures and eventually affects the piston which is getting "hammered" every power stroke by powerful explosions  instead of the normal steady burn  of gasoline  The piston gets so hot and starts to expand seizing in the cylinder bore putting a great strain on the rod and bearings, not to mention the molten aluminum that enters the crankcase to damage parts.   Newer high-horsepower models utilize a knock-sensor to help warn the operator of severe detonation conditions inside of the engine.

Your dealer and the previous owner sound like "stand-up" people who actually stand behind their words and actions.

When all is completed, insist on a test ride with a tech with a vacuum guage and pressure gauges to test the fuel system on the boat at all speeds and to oversee the running and rpm of the rebuilt motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.