Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

2009 etec 250 ho

My family have always owned a Evinrude/ Johnson that's why when it came down to buying boat and motor I went with a evinrude. Needless to say I bought a boat anchor. Almost every time I go fishing something goes wrong with the motor. I bought the motor in 2009 and after 50 hrs on it the lower unit went out. After 52 hours the power head went out. Lucky it was under warranty. Now in 2016 I have put 2 more lower units on it and now I'm in the process of putting another powerhead on it. Of course it's out of warranty. I just got word that evinrude is not going to replace it for free but will at a reduced price. Yeah right reduced my ass. They know this year model engine is a piece of junk. I will sell this boat and go buy a different motor.
Mate

Re: 2009 etec 250 ho

I guess evinrude has nothing to say?
Admiral

[ Edited ]

dasdd99 wrote:
I guess evinrude has nothing to say?

Was there a question asked your first post ? 

Please send an email to brp.care@brp.com  with a summary of the engine history, serial number, and your contact information.  Your inquiry will be looked into.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

They called my dealer and told them that they would do a one time deal of a new power head ,2 fuel injectors, fuel pump for 5500. But the labor would be around 1700. Do the math . For 10000 dollars more I can get a brand new motor. This is not the first power head either. The fuel injector failed on it too. No sensors telling the motor to shutdown when a fuel and oil injector goes out with all of these high tech computers. By the way I just spent 2000 on a lower unit in may for going out. That's the 3rd one. I clip a stump while idling on one of them. It's not right when I do all things required for me to do on maitance.
Captain

dasdd99 wrote:
No sensors telling the motor to shutdown when a fuel and oil injector goes out with all of these high tech computers.

Did your fuel pump go out? 

I'm having problems with my 2016 G2 200 where the fuel pump doesn't turn on when you turn the key from "Off" to "On".  I'm told there should be either an open or closed circuit error.  I expected either or both of these errors to be on two seperate engine reports but there is nothing.  I'm told its not a problem by the dealer and BRP service representative and to use the engine as is.  Looks like it is a problem if your EMM and or pump went out and caused your situation.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

dasdd99 wrote:
 No sensors telling the motor to shutdown when a fuel and oil injector goes out with all of these high tech computers. 

The EMM is the on-engine computer that is  Grand Central station and the boss that both tells the motor how to run but also monitors many of the components to make sure they are operating correctly.

If a fuel injector becomes electrically inoperative because of a short circuit or an open circuit, the EMM sends a warning alert and stores a code to tell not only which injector, but when and how many times it happened.

The EMM also monitors the oil injector and if it fails the engine NO OIL alarm sounds and displays a warning while instantly slowing  to 1200 rpm to protect itself.  Evinrude videos even show E-TEC engines running up to 5 hours at the limp home 1200 rpm with the NO OIL alarm engaged.

If an electric fuel pump fails with either a short or an open circuit, not only would the motor stop running but the EMM would store a service code telling what happened.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

BluewaterBill wrote:

If an electric fuel pump fails with either a short or an open circuit, not only would the motor stop running but the EMM would store a service code telling what happened.

What if a fuel pump is intermittent or that part of the EMM is not operating properly? 

How many consecutive samples of the error need to occurr before the EMM stores the code?

How often does the EMM sample for a fuel pump short or open circuit (samples/second)?

Admiral

depends on the duration of the fault

2, 5, or 10 seconds depending on type of fault and which pump

unknown and unimportant

Captain

BluewaterBill wrote:

depends on the duration of the fault

2, 5, or 10 seconds depending on type of fault and which pump

unknown and unimportant

Please explain why this is unknown and unimportant

Captain

[ Edited ]

Could you please answer these questions:

1) How many pumps are there and what are they called by (what are their names)?

2) If a fuel pump is not working for 2, 5 or 10 seconds, are you saying there is no risk to injectors or a powerhead if the error condition happens for 1.5, 4.5 or 9 seconds respectively?

3) If a fuell pump is not working for 1.5, 4.5 or 9 seconds, the EMM would not record an error.  Is this correct?  If this were to happen several times due to an intermittent problem, are you saying there is no risk to injectors or a powerhead over time?

Please provide more detail on what the specific error conditions are for each 2, 5 and 10 second error.