Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2011 200 Etec are junk

In 2010 I purchased a new bass boat for a present to myself after retiring. I had planned to purchase a new Yamaha outboard. At the time I couldn't purchase a short shaft 200 Yamaha. I was talked into purchasing a 2011 200 Etec. For the first 2 years everything went well. I was fishing Lake St Clair in the spring of 2013 when the motor started missing. I was able to get a Etec Mechanic to come in early to look at it. He found a fuel injector stuck open on the number 1 cylinder. He was able to get it working since they didn't have one in stock. I had to pay him out of my pocket since it wasn't repaired. For the next 2 years I had a  intermittent miss. I had my local Etec Dealers look at it. They could never find the problem. I spent over $500.00 of my money attempting to locate the problem even tho the motor was under warranty. I finally left the boat with a dealer for more than 5 months during the winter of 2014. They were finally able to find the problem while using the boat fishing. Another bad fuel injector cylinder #2. In the spring of this year while a Lake St Clair the motor developed a dead miss. The motor has been out of warranty for 6 months or so. After leaving the boat with my Etec dealer for 6 weeks I got a call today, another bad fuel injector cylinder #4. This time its going to cost me another $600 plus. Since purchasing my boat it has been in Dealers for close to 10 months. Every problem has been a fuel injector. The motor has under 300 hours and I have had it serviced when it was called for. I keep the fuel tank full there has never been any water in the fuel. The mechanic have looked at the injectors and can never see a problem other than they stick open. I have run injector cleaner threw the motor that has been recommended by the dealers and I am still having a problem. I own 2 other boats one has a Honda engine and the other a Yamaha never a problem. My Dealer states that he contacted Evinrude about this on going problem and they basically said tough. You will never see me purchase another Evunrude and I sure wouldn't recommend them.

Admiral

Re: 2011 200 Etec are junk

[ Edited ]

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It is too bad that Evinrude was not contacted much earlier when you first had the injector problem and the dealer could not help you out initially.

You may want to emial your story along with the serial number and contact information to brp.care@brp.com

I

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Evenrude was contacted about the problems I was having. Since it was intermittent they wouldn't do anything. When I picked up my boat yesterday. There were 2 more Etecs they were working on. Guess the problem. Bad fuel injectors. When I asked about the injectors the head mechanic said it was a common problem. Since I purchased the boat I have never touched the engine, not even to change the lower unit. It has only been worked on by a certified Evenrude mechanic.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Agian we are sorry to hear about your injector experiences. Contrary to what people may think or hear or read on the internet, injector problems are not really that prevalent, but they do happen.

There are 3 ways for an injector to not flow correctly or to not work at all.

1. internal electrical problem - this would be an open circuit, such as a broken wire, inside the injector itself. The warning system will set a an error code designating the injector cylinder number in the EMM memory.

2. Component failure - this is when a mechanical part inside the injector body breaks or comes apart. Often this is due to water in the fuel or phase-separated ethanol gasoline that corrodes the internal parts causing breakage or "freeze up."  It could be a spring, piston, check ball sticking, etc. There are no error codes stored or warnings given as it is not an electrical problem.

3. Debris -  this is when debris works its way into the filter screens (2 of them) inside the injector body and nozzle. It restricts the fuel delivery resulting in lean mixtures, loss of power,  and possible piston damage over time. Not being an electrical problem, there are no warnings or error codes indicated.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.