Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2014 25 hp water pump

Bought a new 2014 25hp May of 2015 on a 16ft Lund from a local dealer. Everything was great until July 2, 2016 when the water pump failed when we were fishing. This is now October and still has not been repaired. The dealer says the parts are on back order and does not know when it will be repaired.

I have always been a Johnson/Evinrude owner as was my father. I was looking at replacing my 97-130 Johnson with a new 135HO but if thats the kind of service and reliability i can expect, i'll just stick with my old hard on fuel but reliable 130. Lake Winnipeg is not a place you want to be stranded.

Admiral

Re: 2014 25 hp water pump

We are sorry to hear that the pump is on backorder. Sometimes your dealer can order the whole kit if just the impeller is on backorder, or vice-versa. Evinrude also has a feature for dealers who need parts quickly by showing what other dealers have the needed parts in stock. Talk to your dealer about that.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

A water pump kit was ordered as there is an update to this engine. They had checked other dealers for the parts but none available.

Mate

Three and a half months to get parts. Took the boat out to see how it would run, got 1/4 mile from the dock and the engine shutdown. Lucky there were some fishermen out and towed me back. Took the motor back to the dealer and they checked for codes. No codes as to why the motor shutdown. I am very frustrated with this engine as it only has 7.5 hours on it.

Admiral

Larry52 wrote:

Took the motor back to the dealer and they checked for codes. No codes as to why the motor shutdown. I am very frustrated with this engine as it only has 7.5 hours on it.

I cannot blame you for being frustrated.  Some mechanics erroneously think that the laptop and codes will tell them everything about the motor, but that is not true and is taught in the factory training classes.  The laptop is only one of many tools a technician uses and should know its limitations.

In your case the tech has to determine if the engine stoppage is an electrical malfunction or a fuel delivery problem.   Your dealer should take advantage of his  Evinrude  Dealer   Support team to help him troubleshoot your engine.

Email the engine serial number, dealer name, your contact info, and a short history of the motor to  brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.