Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

250 and 300 G2 test Scout 255 LXF Tests

Hello All

I was reading the reviews on the Evinrude G2 and when looking ove the boat peformance tests I noticed some odd results.  The 250 H.O. and 300 HP G2 were tested on the same boat.  A  Scout 255 LXF .   The 250 H.O. G2 was tested in 2014 and the 300 was tested in 2015 a year later.   The same boat with similar loading and the 300HP motor used less fuel at every RPM and speed.  Significantly less I would say better than 10%.from idle up to nearly wide open.   Can anyone tell me how the more powerful engine would be more efficent?  Was there a cange to the fuel managment software over the course of the year to make the 300 burn less fuel?   Curious because I have a similar boat and thought the standard 250 would be enough motor and get the best fuel economy........thanks for any facts on the performance tests.

G

Admiral

Re: 250 and 300 G2 test Scout 255 LXF Tests

[ Edited ]

Most of the time, a larger motor can loaf along where as a less powerful motor must struggle constantly to keep up with the larger one.  More throttle opening means more fuel consumed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 250 and 300 G2 test Scout 255 LXF Tests

I had twin 250s on my 31 Ocean Master and she is a heavy boat.I weent to twin 300s and got a LOT better fuel economy.I got a 1/2 more mile a gllon.I went from 1 Mpg to 1.5 Mpg, I had to run my 250s at 4000 Rpm to go 30 Mph,I run my 300s at 3500 Rpm and ge 30 MPH.