Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Etec 30 on a Craig cat

The Craigcat, made in Orlando (near our winter home) looks very interesting to me as an alternative to the pontoon boats all of our Michigan neighbors have.

However, after speaking to the company, they informed me that I would NOT be able to substitute the about 100 pounds heavier Yamaha F30 engine for the supplied Etec 30. The Yamahas have an excellent reputation around our lake. The Etecs; not so much.

So, I began doing some reading of reviews for the Etec series on several different websites.

i am NOT encouraged by what I've read of the reliability issues with these motors. 

Yes, I realize that on any given site there can be reviews sweetened by a relationship with the manufacturer, or soured by a bad support network experience, and I'm taking that into account.

i do appreciate the lighter weight and simplicity of the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke, but not at the expense of needing a tow in from the lake, fighting with a warranty claim, or having to write big checks to keep something running that shouldn't have failed in the first place.

So, I wrote the Craigcat folks to let them know I had dropped their product from my boat buying short list.

i really don't want to rule out the Craigcat. 

Can anyone point me to an honest source of a "warm fuzzy" regarding putting my money into the Etec 30?

Bob

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Etec 30 on a Craig cat

Some of the very early 25-30 E-TECs had minor glitches which were quickly addressed when production moved from China to Sturtevant, Wisconsin where the rest of the E-TEC engines are made.

Current engines are doing well. As with anything high-tech these days, you want a good dealer setting the rig up for you and checking everything out before delivery.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.