Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

Help

New to this forum.  I have a 2015 G2 300hp on a Manitou pontoon boat.  I loved this engine last year but not so much this year.  Last year was great other than a few glitches like the netraul sensor and over temp sensor and hard turning at higher speeds.  I live in canada so was very happy about the Winterization option on this engine.  This year - motor is running very rich and rough, have lost approx 8 mph off top speed and has a vibration in it around 2400rpm that wasn't there last year.  Took to dealer where purchesed 4 hours away and told them of my issues, they reassured they had fixed all issues but apperently they fixed something just not on my boat.  Has anyone else experienced these issues.  I want to be happy with this engine but a little put off right now.

Admiral

Re: Help

[ Edited ]

It sounds like you should have a frank discussion with your dealer, service manager, and technician. Insist that at least one of them go for a ride with you to experience the drivability issues of your motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Hi Vancamp,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. As Bluewaterbill said, it would be good that one of them go for a ride with you to experience the drivability issues of your motor. We invite you to give us your VIN number and more details about what happened via email to brp.care@brp.com, so that we can look further into this with your dealer for you. Thanks ! 

Mathilde 

Sandra C, Owen M, Steve M )
BRPCare
BRP
Follow us on Twitter @BRPCare
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

You may have already done this but I would suggest the following based on my experience (some may have a cost so get a price quote from your dealer first...I had to pay for some of this):

1)  Get an engine report before anyone does work on your engine.  I don't necessarily understand the engine reports, but someone on this site can usually help explain things or answer questions.  There are errors on the engine reports that don't necessarily show up on my 3.5 display, so the engine reports help to identify potential problems that I don't see so they can be addressed before they leave me and my family stranded on the water.  Sometimes I see errors on my display that don't get recorded on the EMM as well.

2)  Get an engine report after any work is performed on your engine.  Make sure to tell them not to delete any data.

3)  Ask for a complete safety inspection that checks everything top to bottom including software, rigging, engine diagnostics and anything else they can do.  Ask for a detailed itemized list of what they check and repair along with description of any findings (e.g. found loose cable).

4) Ask for them to verify all recalls and bulletins have been claimed and were performed properly.  I had an oil line that wasn't run per a bulletin by either the factory or dealer that one of the other dealers I went to caught and fixed.

5)  You may want to email BRPcare and request a refund for repair costs.  

6)  Have the engine tested on the water and go with them if you can. 

I have had many issues with my 2016 G2 200 (5 or so trips to the dealer so far with less than 20 Eng hours) and continue to have problems.