Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Mercury "Racing"

Im one of the few people in the entire US that travels around and Drag Races Evinrude Etec motors..... So for every one of me there are approx. 750 drag racers who race Mercury Outboards.......Evinrude has magic in the Etec motors and they know it.....Problem is that there is a common conception of the Mercury Brand that currently gives them the edge when the average "go fast" guy or even bass boater wants a new engine.....Ive been to the Mercury Racing facility and it has become a ghost town, BUT they have a RACING DIVISION! It sounds weird, but the average boater assumes that because there is "Mercury Racing" that they are superior to Evinrude Etec because they have no association to racing whatsoever.....Sounds bad, but I have to agree with them.  9 out of 10 Mercury owners truly believe they have a superior product because its based on a race inspired engine......And its a hard arguement to combat when BRP/Evinrude doesnt have a performance division whatsoever. General Motors admitted the only thing that saved their Cadillac line of cars was the development of their Sedan (CTS-V) on the race track running the LeMans in the Sedan class and eventually dominating. Their image went from a car for your grandpa to a car anyone would love to have. This is something that Evinrude should learn from. I truly believe that the Etec is the superior product, but if there is no presence of race superiority, its image will never be as widely known for performance as a company like Mercury. Mercury supports their racers without dishing out tons of money like they did in the 80's. When I was on the Mercury Racing tour I asked about not fully sponsoring racers like they used to and the response was "we dont have too, our competitors dont support anyone at all"   It was a statement that bothered me dearly.....but also 100% correct. They are winning by default..... Im still going to build up Etec racing motors cause they are the superior product, but Im just one person buying a few engines. The other 750 racers are buying a few Mercury Racing outboards......So no matter what happens on the drag strip, Mercury wins....... I didnt write this to put down Evinrude or BRP, more to give them some constructive criticism to their marketing team in order to win some desperately needed market share in this economy. It really is sad how there is next to nothing in the "Etec Racing" section....... Evinrude used to be a feared racing name, thats long gone.......Sad part is with the current Etec motors, it could be a powerhouse on the race scene cause the potential is there....

Speed Jr.

Skipper

Re: Mercury "Racing"

Yes, I completely agree, and we both know there is enough intelligence & behind the scenes experience to build a true high performance E-Tec to take on the ROUEN, France annual. All that is needed is the support of a company or consortium to show BRP & the world what is possible. Lets face it The Drag strip is already proving that the E-Tec has the balls when it counts. Together with their reliability, low fuel consumption & emissions to truly give the Merc stable some true competition. The people are out there who can teach BRP how to make it happen & also build an engine that can be all things to all people & create a better set of engines as well. They have been offered the help & hopefully BRP take it up. I promise you that you will (BRP) regret it.    

Mate

There was a old saying in the Day

WIN ON SUNDAY - SELL ON MONDAY TO FRIDAY

I feel that BPR/EVENTIDE need to adopt this thinking.

The Future of of Evinrude will come down to this

[1] Evinrude has to Develop Outbords that will beat the Mercury's and the Yamaha's

[2] there is allways going to be a rivarly between Mercury,and other outboards.

[3] the consumer wants winners  and winning sells

[4] the future of racing will be based on stock low emission powerheads

example:

[a] the HO Series should be [1] lighter by 15-20 lbs than the Standard E- tech Models. [3] 4-5 mph faster

[4] use a 1.75.1 or 1.72.1 gear ratio  [5] increased rpm output 6200-6500 rpm

The current 52 cu in 2 cyl E-tech could easily be up graded to a 70H.O.--75HP- 6000-6500 RPM

Than use the same 70H.O. Powehead for the SST50 Tunnel hull Racing Outboard -7200-7600 RPM

The current 89 cu in 3cyl E-tech also can be tuned to the 100H.O 100+ HP -6200 -6700 RPM

Also use the same Powerhead to creat the SST 90 Tunnel Hull Racing Outboard 115 +HP - 8000+ RPM

The 250H.O needs to be upgraded to a 350H.O WITHOUT increasing motor Displacement.

a 350 H.O should deliver 375 HP-6400 -7000 RPM than take the same power head and put it on a special

application Racing midsection and Lower Unit to crank out 400-410 hp -8000+rpm for F1 Racing.

The 115 HO should have been the 135 H.O OR tuned to deliver 140+hp - 6000+ rpm

A replacement for the 15 CU IN 2CYL is a must- than a 15ss-e-tech Grass roots racing outbord should come out of this.

the key to the whole thing of being Evinrude must mean total DOMINANCE.

This thing about Mercury is the fastest or the Winner could change with some Stratagy and support from BRP/EVINRUDE.

BRP/EVINRUDE MUST LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC.

BRP/EVINRUDE must seriously invest in breaking the 200mph barrier---now thats the ULTIMATE bragging rights.

Captain

Yes, finally someone gets it.......But will it fall on deaf ears? This is just their website......I would like to believe someone from Evinrude actually see's this.

Jr.

Mate

BRP/Evinrude needs to get rid of all the small minded People on there Company board

The same thing that happened to OMC could happan to BRP/Evinrude.

Lack of Interest in the being the Fastest could result in the Slowest Sales.

Mate

Just got word !

A friend of mine from Mercury recently told me that a test last week using a specialy made 20ft Seabold

Tunnel powered by a prototype 3liter DFI Outbord based on a 300xs improved power head ran 132 mph oneway

and 135 mph the other.---Evinrudes best was 128 mph.!---not good enough ! sorry Mr whittle .-not fast enough.

The 300xs with Mercs New 11 inch Shaft +1.52.1 gear ratio lower unit is said to develope allmost 365-370 hp

at 8000 + rpm.

The Prototype named the 300FI project will be used in future F1 Tunnel Racing Worldwide.

if Successful Mercury Marine Should sell 2000 in 2 years.

and I was told that Mercury Marine feels very confident that BRP/EVINRUDE won't respond.

Community Manager

SpeedJr,

We really appreciate your comments and your continued support of Evinrude.  We want you to know that we read all the comments posted on E-NATION, and we're always open to feedback and criticism.

We'd love to hear more about your experiences racing with Evinrude.  Can you provide us with an e-mail address so we can contact you?

Thanks again for your support of Evinrude and for being a part of E-NATION!

Through E-NATION, you can chat with fishing pros, get tips on fishing and boating, ask questions in the community forums and learn how to get more out of your boat and engine.

Help us to continue to build the community dedicated to water, power, fishing, and fun.
Skipper

In these days of fuel efficiency and environmental awareness, its hard to convince shareholders of a company that a racing devision is the way to go. But then again you have Mercury and Yamaha who have both released 350 HP engines, Yamaha's engine is a huge 5.3L V8 and its selling a lot, as there was a need for big offshore outboards, and probably still is. A newly established small company called "Seven Marine" has also released a 557 HP V8 engine at a thousand pounds of weight (!).

I suppose it wouldn't be impossible for engineres to produce a 350 or even a 400 HP prototype, made for either offshore or racing, but there needs to be a market for it as well. No doubt it would be great PR for Evinrude though.

Captain

Kevinwatson; First off, an Etec has gone faster than that too, but Evinrude had nothing to do with it, so too bad. *Plus we didnt need a F1/SST boat to do it with). And good luck purchasing anything with those numbers. Anyone can build a shorty mid/tight heads and get those numbers. You hit the nail on the head about "Worldwide". (IE, Not in the US) So again, who cares. I do agree about BRP not responding, they dont have a clue.....

E-Nation, I sent you a private message. Are you employed by Evinrude? Cause you say youd love to hear about my racing experience with Etecs, well that would make you the first......

OleNorway,
the future of racing outboards are not going to be 700lb motors......The Seven marine engine could have 2000hp and wouldnt stand a chance on the Drag Strip and even worse when you need to turn....The Etec fuel injection system is superior to anything out there, if I had just a little support from BRP it would be game over for Mr. Mercury.....
Skipper

I guess the only technical way to achieve more power out of the current 3.4L block as to create a racing model is to either increase the compression ratio and increase the injection pressure, perhaps by utilizing new generation injectors. Or maybe a supercharger.