Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

New 40 HP impression

I just want to  state how happy I am with my new 40 HP etec.  I replaced a 2000 Honda 40hp and all I had was carburetor problems no matter how much I drained the carbs or put stabl in it just kept clogging.  The final straw was a cracked lower unit from internal parts rusting and expanding the housing.  Needles to say the etec with no carbs and larger lower unit was just what I was looking for.  I have a 18ft flat bottom  wooden skiff and with the Honda I could reach about 29 mph and get up to plane( after awhile) with no more than 4 people.  I was a little worried that the etec would be slower due to the increased weight and larger lower unit.  All I can say is it is like night and day it almost feels like I went up in HP.  With the evinrude I can reach 33- 34mph and I just jump out of the hole.  After comparing the two props I can see why the etec is so much better out of the hole because the etec 's prop looks twice as big.  I just had 4 people in the boat and I couldn't really tell that I had 4 people in the boat my gps said I was doing 31 mph. The only pros the Honda had over the etec is that it seems to be a little quieter and smoother but since I could never get the Honda to run right for an extended amount of time this is a mute point.  On my boat it seems to shake a little at idle but smooth out after 1000rpm but it seems to be getting smoother as time goes on.  As of now I have about 3hrs on the engine.  It is comforting to finally have a motor that i enjoy.

Admiral

Re: New 40 HP impression

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and giving us a real-world comparison of your old Honda and your new E-TEC.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

We loved our new etech for the first few months. It is less than a year old and lower unit has went out. We took it in for warranty as we did not abuse this motor (inspect the motor, prop etc and you can see how it was taken care of) Dealer would not stand behind it at all. Very disappointing and sad that we have prompted this product to our family and friends. We truelyl expected better service. We have owned Johnson motors for years and were always satisfied.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hi RTFishers,

Your motor is less than a year old & should be under factory warranty and your dealer will not support you??? Either your dealer is a derilect looser or (no offense) you must have done something wrong to it. Plain and simple!!! Given that you claim you have not abused it and have taken good care of it, I would say it is the former. Have you taken it to another dealer for a second opinion??? Something doesn't seem right here, for a dealer to refuse to help you if you have not misused your motor!!! If this is true and your dealer will not support you, get in touch with Evinrude customer support and get them involved. The dealer should be severely dealt with. These things put EVINRUDE'S reputation in bad light, if your claim is found to be justly accurate. And, I'm sure they will treat you right. I've dealt with them for many years & never known them to do otherwise. Please let us know how you make out after you persue this further.

Regards,

Lake Rider
Admiral

RTFishers wrote:

We loved our new etech for the first few months. It is less than a year old and lower unit has went out.

Dealer would not stand behind it at all. Very disappointing and sad that we have prompted this product to our family and friends. We truelyl expected better service. We have owned Johnson motors for years and were always satisfied.

HI,

I am sorry to find out that you have had problems with your dealer.

Please send an email to brp.care@brp.com with the engine serial number, name of the dealer, and include what you wrote to us and they will look into the situation.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

RTFishers,
What is the status of your problem you claim that you had??? Did you get in touch with Evinrude and are you satisfied with the results?
Lake Rider