Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Repower with E-tec 115 or 135HO?

[ Edited ]

I have a 1997 Four Winns 18” Horizon with a 1997 Johnson 130 hp 25” transom. I am debating about which E-tec to repower with, 115 or 135HO. The 1997 130 is 4cyl and 2000 cc. The E-tech 115 is 4cyl and 1726 cc. The 135HO is 6 cyl and 2592 cc.

With the 130 I can cruise at 25mph/3500 rpm and 30mph/4000 rpm. The 130 has always seemed more than enough motor for the boat and my use. But I am concerned the 115 might not be enough and the 135HO too much. I would like to cruise at the same speeds but get better gas mileage than the older 130hp. I am guessing I would have to cruise at higher rpms with the 115 to get the same speeds which will lower gas mileage. But the 135HO weighs more than the 130 and I fear the boat might feel even more transom heavy. And with 6 cyls there is more maintenance and gas consumption.

I don’t care about top speed or operating at wide open throttle. If I want to cruise at 25-30 mph and get better gas mileage than the 130, which motor would you recommend? Thanks

Admiral

Re: Repower with E-tec 115 or 135HO?

[ Edited ]

With a 115 you may be a bit disappointed as the performance and the economy may not be equivalent to the 130 HP as it would have to struggle to produce the power needed for that size boat. If you added more people or wanted to water ski or pull tubes, it would fall short.

The 135 HO is a great engine and I believe that you would be pleased with it. With its greater torque and smoothness compared to the 4 cylinder engines, the larger engine would probably give better fuel milage as it would not have to work as hard as the smaller motors to attain the same speeds and performance. My experience shows that most people who switch from a carbureted motor to a similar size E-TEC will cut their fuel costs almost in half. Compared to your old 130, oil consumption will be less for the same trip distance.

Right now is a great time to repower because until June 28 you get a 7 year factory warranty and free rigging equipment including gauges, controls, wiring, etc. Talk to your Evinrude dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

135HO every day of the week. Your old lopper was a very strong engine back in the day, just not great on fuel or noise. As Bill said if you fitted the V4 the performance will disappoint compared to what you are used to.

Skipper

Thanks for  your responses. So even though the 135HO is more CCs and 2 more cylinders than my old 130, you think I would get better gas mileage?

Bill, you mention a free 7-year warranty? When I click on Evinrude promotions it shows a "Spring into Action" promotion with a 6-year warranty?

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/promotion

Admiral

[ Edited ]

jm345 wrote:

Bill, you mention a free 7-year warranty? When I click on Evinrude promotions it shows a "Spring into Action" promotion with a 6-year warranty?

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/promotion

The link you posted says 7-year warranty when I clicked on it.

Qualified Repower Evinrude E-TEC buyers receive

BRP EXTENDED 7-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON ENGINE AND RIGGING COMPONENTS*

&  FREE RIGGING ON 75-300HP MODELS

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill,

When I click the Evinrude promotion link, the new webpage identifies my location as being in upstate NY and this is the offer shown:

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/promotions/saltwater/brp_spring15_ufs_tear.pdf#zoom=100

Admiral

6-Year Factory Backed Limited Warranty

- Available on new & unused 15 H.O. Evinrude E-TEC Engines and above

NEW: 7th YEAR B.E.S.T. available for purchase at promotional pricing.

Only in Florida is there the 7 year warranty due to various state laws regulating promotions and policies. 

In other states you get  free 6 year coverage and the option to purchase an additional year at a reduced price, making it a total of 7 years protection. See your dealer for the exact details for the extra years coverage.

I'm sorry about the confusion.

Skipper

Thanks for clarifying the promotion Bill. Sounds like a good deal.

So do you think the 135HO will get the same or better gas mileage on my Four Winns as the older 130 ?

Admiral

You will be so amazed at the quick starting, being super quiet, no smoking, less servicing, enhanced performance, and better gas and oil milage that you will wonder why you did not make the change years earlier.

Captain

The new engine will use about half the fuel at the end of a usual days boating.