Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Repowered Boston Whaler with 2018 G2 225 H.O. Performance Report

Hello All,

New to this site...new G2 owner.  Last Evinrude was 1995 90HP OceanPro VRO on a Montauk 17 (ZERO problems for 600 hours, then sold it).

Fast-forward 6 years - I just upgraded from a 1989 Yamaha EXCEL 225 powerplant on my Boston Whaler Outrage 22.  This was a hot motor that pushed the boat to 50mph (statute) with a typical loadout.  Efficiency was about 1.7 mpg overall, mostly cruising, running to fishing spots, and tubing. 

I took delivery of the new rig last week and just had my first cruise on Father's Day. 

Once I trimmed her down after launch, I left the helm and approached the stern.  Once there, I paused, wondering why I was standing there.  I admired the clean rigging and empty splashwell.  I thought "I never noticed that scratch before because it was obscured by rigging...and why am I standing here?". Then it dawned on me.  There is no primer bulb, silly.  Just turn the key!!!

Performance Data and comparisons:

VESSEL:  1989 Boston Whaler Outrage 22 Cuddy, no canvas on board, No T-top.

Crew weight 450lbs (estimated - female crewmembers were not forthcoming with these data)

Fuel - 75 gallons

2 batteries - group 24 under console (~100lbs)

Safety equipment and gear - 150lbs

18" pitch RX-4 prop (vent settings unknown)

Hudson River, slack tide +2 hours

South Bound, calm winds, no chop, significant boat waves in all directions

First impression:  Seems much quieter below 1500rpm. At cruise, I noticed the distinct sound of wind in my ears and the spray of water from the hull sides.  These were not as audible over the previous motor drone.  Conversations were enjoyed with fewer "WHAT?"s). 

Acceleration:  Holeshot to plane is noticably faster.  Torque is greatly improved over Yami.  30mph acceleration to full throttle is also a huge improvement.  The boat feels like it wants to scoot out from under us.  Very strong.

Auto trim opted for 19% trim at 3500 rpm.  This produced 4.2 mpg and 29mph. (Adjusted for tide influence)

I over-rode auto and trimmed her to 60%, gained about 150 rpm and maxed efficiency at 4.6 mpg and 31mph.

This was easily dialed-in with the ICON II binnacle control + and - 1% rpm adjustment.

Helm:

I set power steering at minimum.  I prefer as much feedback as hydraulics will allow.  Previous motor was mechanical steering.  My kids were not strong enough to straighten the boat out of a sharp turn (took both my hands and a grunt).  NOW my kids can learn how to operate the boat safely.  At first, I was having difficulty adjusting trim with the switch on the throttle handle without bumping the throttle in the waves.  I adjusted the binnacle control 3+ turns on the friction screw to meet my preference.  Problem solved.

The 3.5" ICON display was quite readable in direct sunlight and the tactile feel of the buttons (not touch-screen) made for easy page switching in rough water.

Overall:  We cruised 55 miles round trip on about 12 gallons of fuel.  The oil reservoir sensor still reads 100%. 

3.5 hours logged.

Impressions:  Wow.  I am VERY pleased with performance, efficiency, and handling.  My grass is going to be very overgrown this summer.  I expect to log 30 to 50 hours this season and will report back with new data as they are compiled.

I am excited about boating like never before.  I also have the peace of mind "knowing" (from anecdotal evidence in reviews, interviews, and feedback from owners) BRP stands behind their products in case I have any problems.  I opted for the 5+5 Warranty and B.E.S.T. service contract so I have ZERO worries about cost of ownership for TEN years.

See you on the water!

20180615_162726001.jpg

...and no, I am not being compensated for this review.  I am being honest, and a little giddy with excitement.

PART_1528572530666_IMG_20180609_152742[1].jpg

Mate

Re: Repowered Boston Whaler with 2018 G2 225 H.O. Performance Report

oops,

forgot to mention top end.

Trimmed to 100%+ 

5850 max rpm

55mph....scary fast

2.6 mpg   WOT efficiency is better than ANY throttle setting on old 3-carb Yami!

only held it there for a few seconds

wow

Mate

Thanks for the report.  Glad to hear that you are so pleased with the repower.

Admiral

That was a great report. Back in 2005 when the V6 E-TECs came out we rigged a 225 HP first generation on a 22' Outrage - not a cuddy cabin model. It did about 51-52 mph. It was a great rig but not near as powerful as yours.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks for the detailed review. Most all of the owners of G2's that I have sold have used the word "WOW"!
Your 30-50 hour estimate may be low, most of my customers are using their G2 repowered boats a lot more than they used to because "it feels like a whole new boat" and "it's fun to drive".
Captain

Nice review. I'm interested in the iTrim feature that you were able to override and gain nearly 10% more efficiency by self-adjusting. Is there a way to create settings so this is more automated? Otherwise, this great selling feature is useless as I would turn that off based on 10% fuel economy.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Admiral

The iTrim only gives an average trim setting for each type of boat. It does not trim for your specific boat brand and model, it is only an assist feature. You can easily fine tune the trim to your liking by just pressing either the UP or DOWN button

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi_c,

I'm not sure how the trim assist is calibrated, but I prefer to have control over trim tweaks myself anyway.

We just went out with 5 adults and about 65gal of fuel.  Optimal trim was about 61% at 3450rpm with two on the tube.

I let I-trim control for holeshot from full down and settle around 20%.  Then I bumped it up to meet my needs based on loading...and how much propwash I wanted to jet into the tuber's faces.

8.7 hours and counting.

Captain

I ran a 300 on a 23' Roballo center console a couple of weeks ago. I-trim set it at 50% and manual trim seemed best at 51%. I have another customer with a 250 on a 24' cuddy cabin hull and he reports that he never manually trims. Other customers asked me to disable I-trim and never tried it.
Skipper

Hey PlayinHookey I feel the same as you do about my repower. I went from a not so awesome Yam 250 SHO to a G2 250 HO and WOW! No comparison in performance between the two. The only advantage the Yam had was it was quiet. I gained 6 mph at WOT and the hole shot went from about 6 to 7 seconds to 3-1/2 seconds. I have about 50 hrs on it and I love it