Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Scowling covers

I have a 2004 75hp Etec that I bought in 05. Love the motor, have never really had any problems with it. Had to change the impeller a couple yrs ago. My biggest problem is with the top and side motor covers. I need to replace them right now and if I do it will be my 3rd set. At almost 3,000.00 it is a joke that Evinrude hasn't done anything about this. The first set didn't last a year before they were falling apart. Had extended warranty but that was a joke, they said it was cosmetic, 3,000.00 f#####g dollars is not cosmetic. Do I need to say what I tell people when they ask me how I feel about my Etec
Admiral

Re: Scowling covers

I am sorry to hear that your side covers have not lived up to your expectations, but unfortunately you did not say why.

Once in a while customers write in about cracks appearing by the the screw  fastener areas.  There are specific procedures on how to re-install the covers, how not to use the screws to draw both sides together, and there is a torque specification for the small cover screws that has to be adhered to which will prevent breakage.

Please forward your concerns to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

As far as I know they have only been taken off twice by a Evinrude dealership. I did some looking online and it seems there are a lot of people out there complaining about the same thing. And 99% of them are the grey/blue color not white that are cracking.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

If the motor covers were not installed per the factory procedure and torque spec, they will crack, especially if someone uses an air or battery-powered impact gun.

In the early days Evinrude would often warrant one set of cracked covers if the dealer contacted them and pleaded their case.  The plastic bosses around the fasteners were thickened up for more strength and durability, but the torquing and the assembly procedures still had to be followed. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.