Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Two Powerhead failures within 80hrs - Fuel Injectors?

Has anyone had issues with power head failures?

I purchased a new E-Tec 250hp with 7 Year Warranty in 2007 & now has 442 hours. Love my E-Tec always ran perfect and planned on having many more years on the water with my Evinrude, but that has changed.

I maintained my E-Tec beyond any standards. Flushed my motor 15mins every time I returned back,  I used only XD100 Oil always, always used recreational fuel, changed my filters, performed my required services at authorized dealers. Never hole shot my motor and was told computer showed 85% of run time was between 1000 to 2500 rpm.

Recently I had two power head failures within 80hrs of each other, first time cylinder #1 Fuel Injector Failed and now 80hrs later #6 Injector Failed, which both time had power head failures. Certified Master Tech was ask to run every possible test by Tech support and he did not find a single issue and cannot tell me why?. First Power Head covered by First Protection and now 80hrs later Power Head Failure again. Now out of Warranty and out of the water. Dealer wants $5,000.00 which includes BRP's discount to replace the power head. 

Very, very disappointed!!

Admiral

Re: Two Powerhead failures within 80hrs - Fuel Injectors?

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with your Evinrude outboard.

Injector problems can be caused by several factors, the same way they  can in your car or in other outboard makes.  If you had an electrical failure such as an open circuit in the injector windings, your motor would record an error code in the EMM telling which injector was the culprit. Water in the fuel, especially salt water or ethanol-water phase separation from E-10 gasoline corrodes the precision internal parts of the injector and could cause one to become inoperative. A third cause could be debris that accumulates in the injector's internal filter screens and restricts or blocks off the fuel flow to the cylinders.

Water damaged injectors or ones full of debris are not factory faults and are beyond Evinrude's control. Evinrude has taken care of injectors like these most of the time.

As we are not the technicians who are working on your engine, we can only offer explanations to educate customers on how things work and what could happen under  certain circumstances

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Travis Thanks for the response,

The Tech who works on my E-Tec is a Certified Master by BRP. he has performed multiple test and found no error codes, no alarm codes, check the fuel for pressue, water, contmination and evey other test that can be performed and all has come back perfect. I only use Non Ethanol Gasoline. They found no deris in my fuel injectors and have no clear answer?

So you mentioned all these possiblities which may have caused the problem, and a Master Tech found none of these issues exist in his determination of my engine.?

Admiral

Did the tech dissassemble the injectors to inspect for any internal problems such as debris, corrosion, varnish deposits, phase separation from E-10 .?

Did the the damaged cylinders show signs of detonation or pre-ignition?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Travis,

Maybe if I send you my serial #, you can look up the history?

Admiral

You can post the number or message me

Skipper

Re: Two Powerhead failures within 80hrs

I'm picking up my boat this week after months of fighting will BRP. What I have found out, is that when I purchased my 2007 E Tec and the Dealer told me a line of lies when I chose the optional 7 Year extended warranty. What I mean by this, First Protection a third party Insurance Company had full control of any repairs that were made to my engine after the 3 year factory warranty expired.

I have every original document when I purchased my new engine which includes the Warranty and none of them mention about a Third Party Insurance Company handling Warranty Claims. If this was so, I would have taken the optional money. 

First Protection did what every aftermarket Insurance Company does; they decided how my power head failure was going to be repaired without any input from BRP. As a matter of fact BRP had no idea that a new power head was being installed after this failure. In addition the power head was a rebuilt using non-BRP parts at an unknown machine shop, when I picked up my boat, I was told by the mechanic that I must perform a break-in period? I asked; I thought E Tec had no break-in. I even called E Tech support and they said E Tec has no break-in, not sure why the mechanic said that. The reason is because these internal parts are not E Tec parts, but some aftermarket garbage!!

Let me remind you the E Tec Master Mechanic, could not find one thing wrong with my 2nd Power Head Failure that I could have caused. They checked the fuel, oil, filters, pressure readings, electrical and nothing was found. Yeah nothing was found because this was a mechanical failure do to the aftermarket parts and with some shady shop rebuilding engines all day long for this third party Insurance Company.

First Protection took no steps or allowed the Certified E Tec Mechanic to find out what caused this problem and just paid to have my engine replaced with Low Quality Powerhead to get me on my way.

Now we know why after 80hrs my 2nd Powerhead Failed!!!!  Thanks BRP This just cost me $6,000.00.!!!!

Skipper

I'm guessing no one wants to come near this post, because it has been a week and I have not recived a response?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Sorry, Joe, your last week's post sounded more like letting off steam and telling the story about your dealer  than asking a question.  Have you discussed this with Evinrude After Sales Support?

Skipper

Travis, yes I'm quite fustrated because of what I have been through. I have indeed spoke to Tech Support and they drag my case out for over a month then refuse to take full responsibility for this powerhead failure which is clearly not the right approach.

I'm the last guy in the world who would be looking for anything for free, but i'm outraged how E Tec making the best 2 Stroke Motor on the Market had an aftermarket company replace my motor with non  E-Tec Parts. Isn't this the whole premise on your E-Tec Engineering, and why we should consider E Tec when buying a new Motor.

BRP stop using First Protection because of what exactly happened to me and I'm clearly a victim of this misleading 7 Year Warranty Scam. It is clear, if my Powerhead was replaced by E-Tec with only 480hrs, this second failure would not have not happend 80hrs later which cost me over $6,000.00. Why, becuase BRP would have repaired my engine with a Certified Powerhead and would have requested the Technician to run all sorts of test to find out what was the cause of this initial failure. But instead, they had some third party engine remanufacture supply some aftermarket junk as my new Powerhead.

Travis, again I have all my original Sales Documentation, Quote, 7 Year Optional Warranty and nowhere does it mention about a third party Insurance Company handling the 4 Year Extended Warranty. I was told this was a Optional Factory Warranty which is why I purchased my 250 E-Tec. Base on these facts BRP should have clearly paid for this repair in full.