Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR EVINRUDE?

It starts on the first pull everytime, burns very little gas and oil, has lots of power and is simple to winterize.

Skipper

Finally found this topic NOT in the "Owner's Zone" section of E-Nation (as I was directed in the e-mail), but in the "Reviews" section. 

I love the instant starts I get with my 200 H.O., and the quietness, and the self-winterization.  However, my dealer disagrees with the claim made that under "normal recreational use" no changing of gearcase lube is needed for 3 years or 300 hours.  He says I should change it each year.

Captain

The list of "What do I love about my Evinrude" is very long, but I will try to use just one:

I love my Evinrude E-TEC's incredible reliability.

I am simply amazed at how easy to own and operate it is.  As well as my Ski-doo!  Thank You BRP!

Skipper

First the good news, I've NEVER had to take my Evinrude to the dealer for service. Now the bad news, I've NEVER had to take my Evinrude to the dealer for service. Other than the purchase price and set up when I bought my engine new with my boat I've only had to buy and replace small parts due to normal wear and tear. You guys aren't making much money from me. With a good service manual and the right tools my down time almost insignificant as most of the service I perform on the engine is preventative and elective. My engine still runs like a fine Swiss watch. Unfortunately for you, I see no reason to buy a new one at this time (if it works, don't fix it)!

Oh, I forgot to mention. My engine is a 1978 235HP longshaft installed on a 23' MAKO Center Console that I take out of Newburyport, MA for 40 miles to Stellwagen Bank or 20 miles out to Jeffry's Ledge for giant blufin tuna fishing. I have never had a concern about the reliability of this engine getting me home. 

And it always has in all these years.

Admiral

MichaelGT ,

Congratulations for keeping a 35 year old saltwater motor running like a new one all by yourself. That shows off your mechanical skills along wtih the reliability of Evinrude products.

That particular model is often called a "two thirsty five" and you probably realize that every time you filll up after your 80 miles roundtrip fishing adventures. It may be a good idea to look into repowering while your motor is still operational and worth more for trade-in. Most repowers from an engine  like yours to a new E-TEC result in fuel costs cut in half and oil usage reduced by more than a half. Right now Evinrude is giving away a free SS prop, controls, gauges, network, and rigging during the current sales promotion.

By the way, those old Mako boats were built solid and are great for offshore runs. I still see many of them from the late '70's around the Florida coasts.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

I realize this is for e-tec reports,however my !996  115 is still running great.Keep looking at the new e-tecs and wouldn't mind upgrading to a 130(1996 Crestliner 1800 pro is rated up to 140).Just  thought I'd let ya know,the older models are still kickin,,figure I'll only need one more Evinrude in my life time(61).

Dhip

Mate

My 2007 ETEC 175HP has been simply awesome! As one who spends 4-5 days a week on the water I want an engine I can depend on and spends little time in the shop. This engine which now exceeds 1000 hrs has exceeded my expectations. It still runs great and is as dependable as the day I purchased it. Evinrude rules the waters as far as I am concerned
Johnny
Mate

Re: What Do You Love About Your Evinrude?

I Love my ETEC 60hp on my FM 165. Great package! Custom made for me from Thayers Marine. It is amazing the size difference between a 60hp Merc and my awesome, powerful 60hp ETEC. Love the winterize feature. Starts no matter the conditions. Was out striper fishing in 34 degree weather, after being winterized and it started like it was never put away. Thanks Evinrude for giving me something to love and brag about. I will never power my boats with anything but an ETEC. The emissions are great. Fuel economy is amazing. I wish my truck got the same fuel mileage, ;-). I also like to tell everyone about the technology behind this little powerhouse. Keep up the good work. Dont stop innovating!

Mate

When I ordered my Bass Cat Cougar AE a year and a half ago, I opted to pay an extra $2,000 to"upgrade" to an Evinrude E-TEC 250 HO.  The boat would have otherwise been furnished with a 250 Merc as standard equipment.  I had owned a couple of Mercs over the last few years, and had not been a happy owner.  I needed a change.

The E-TEC is awesome!  It jumps out of the hole, getting on plane in less than 3 seconds.  It sips gas, burns very little oil and just screams (quietly!) across the water!  It will push my 20'+ bass boat much faster than I ever need it to go.  I just love this motor!

Mate

I bought a new 2006 , 115 Etec when I retired. I put it on my 1996 Crestliner. I love it ! Last spring  I bought a 2009 14' Carolina Skiff with a 20 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke while in Florida. I took it home to Minnesota and used it on our lake and for river fishing. The Yamaha was "OK" but lacked power and torque. I traded it for a 2013 25hp Etec. The boat is rated for a 30hp but the guys from BRP that I talked to at the Mpls Boat Show assured me I would be totally happy with the 25. Boy were they right ! We are in the Keys for the month of April with the skiff. It will get up on plane with 4 adults and gear. I should mention this is a tiller model. I did have to shift some weight forward in the boat and I'm still tinkering with the height

( it is on a manual jack plate) I think I may need a hydrofoil as the flat bottom skiff wants tp porpoise at wot. It has electric start and trim&tilt. I tried the rope start and it fires up easily that way also. I'm completely satisfied at this point !!