Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR EVINRUDE?

Going into my 3rd year with my E-Tec 200 on a 2101 Striper W/A and fall in love with it more and more. It ALWAYS starts with no throttle adjusting or user error possible, it virtually maintains itself even when it comes time to winterize, and it reports to my mechanic what has been going on so he can advise me of ongoing usage and concerns before I make any mistakes. It is VERY easy to care for (flushing after being in salt couldn't be easier). There is always the possible "buyer's remorse" whenever you move on to a "new" or expensive item but that has been steadily disappearing over the past 2 seasons of sun, cold, rough water, fresh or salt, or anything else the elements throw at the motor. I have had Volvo I/O, Johnsons, Honda, and Yamaha motors but the Evinrude E-Tec is in a class by itself and has risen to my all-time favorite.

Skipper

I'M delighted with my new 135 HO installed beginning of May. I replace my old Johnson 1996 that is still working very well.

My old Princecraft ventura 190 (19960 is acting so smoothly now that i can almost see it fly !!! (and that is without a drink).  Quiet, nervous,  it picks up quickly that the waterskiers and  barefooters are delighted. 90 % watersports, 10 % ride.

I now enjoy my boat  as much as its first day. Easy on gaz and clean !!!  (important factors these days). $1.42 can /liter or 5,36 US /gallon today.

Captain

About twenty years ago in my late teens I bought my first boat for about $500. It was nothing to look at but it got me on the water...powered by a 1958 Johnson 35hp. I can clearly remember the day this salty old man at the dock took notice of that old motor telling me stories about when he owned one just like mine when he was my age. That little motor was amazing. I upgraded boats and the motor followed. It was a clunky old motor but it ran...and ran and ran....becoming known to my buddies as simply "the fitty-eight". I gave up that old boat and motor years ago but when I started doing my research to buy a new one it led me off the trail of merc/yamaha/Honda. For me owning a boat is more than just getting out on the water. I planned on making a big purchase and I wanted a package I could be proud to own. Wondering what became of the manufacturer of that old motor I followed the history of the business through all the changes and the eventual bankrupt of omc that led to the BRP buyout. Needless to say I liked what they did. Technology is king and the fact that they said no to the trend of four strokes and went against the grain to create what I have on the back of my new boat today sold me. As a machinist for about twenty years now I just couldn't see any advantage to buying a four stroke. To me the basic foundation doesn't lend itself to be run at high rpm for long periods of time. It's that old "less moving parts" jingle we two strokers have heard many times. Last I checked Honda civics weren't buzzing down the freeway at 5500 rpm. I could go on but we've heard it all before. So it was no easy task here in California to find a dealer that wasn't pushing mercury and Yamaha like a crack dealer but I found my way through the muck to get my smokercraft 172xl with a 150hp evinrude on it. It is an engineering marvel and I love it so far. You could practically start it just by giving it a dirty look...some motors run but these sound like they love to run. It's quiet when it should be and growls when you want it to. Smooth shifts and throttle with the icon controls make this thing effortless to drive. It's everything I had hoped it would be and more at this point. Working through some porpoising issues with my dealer so I can take full advantage of all that power but hear me when I say that this boat flys up out of the water like a rocket when you punch it. Anyone who can appreciate the sound of a finely tuned motor should take a serious look at an etec and be sceptical of all the garbage you might hear out there about them. It's an amazing piece of equipment that I'm already proud to own. Soon it too will earn a name...I'm thinking Rudy will do for now ....we'll see if it sticks.

Cheers
Mark
Admiral

Mark,

That is a great story !

You have a way with words.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Admiral

We are happy to hear that your Father was impressed. Welcome to the E-TEC family.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

I fish mostley at the tailrace of a very turbulant dam in Alabama. I have seen a lot of people get in trouble because of unreliable oubboards. I don't hesitate to venture up to the dam with the 60 hp e-tec that I have, along with the professional tech support that I get from Randy Gibson at Gibson Marine. Oh, I forgot to tell you tyhat my e-tec has never and I meen never failed me in any way since new in2009!

Admiral

That is great to hear !

Skipper

What prop are you using on the 135HO for Water Sports. Regards Waz

Captain

I have ran Evinrudes from from 1998 and my dad ran one for years and we always have great all around performance from them. The new g2 is the future and we can own them today. Yes I love my 2013 250 H.O.