Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

evinrude etec 150 engine shut down

Hi I recently just purchase a new Trition with a brand new Evinrude Etec 150.  I took it out on the lake for the first time ran the boat for about  ten minutes.  When I went to start back up to go back to the landing the boat took off just fine then came to a sputtering hault.  I managed to get the boat back to the landing under idle power.  The engine seemed to have gone into a safe mode.  Not a good way to start out with a new boat.  The boat is now back at the Cableas dealership in east Hartford.  Feeling really frustrated any suggestions? 

Admiral

Re: evinrude etec 150 engine shut down

[ Edited ]

We are sorry to hear about your experience with your new boat and motor on its maiden voyage.  I assume that there were no warning horns or indicator lights or you would have mentioned them.

Almost every time a brand new rig has a running or an interrmittent shut-down problem, it is a fuel delivery related situation. Very often it is in the boat's fuel system such as a restriction, a malfunctioning anti-siphon valve, or an air leak in the fittings. It could also be  a rigging related incident such as a kinked or flattened fuel line.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Today I called the dealers power sports shop and after seven days they told me the  throtle control sensor was broken and they are waiting for parts to replace it I asked them to load test it aswell.  Along with check why the fuel ball was flat and would not pump fuel.  Anything else they should check?  Any suggestions?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

You did not mention that the primer ball  was flat before - that is very significant.  It means there is a serious restriction in the boat's fuel system.  Reread the second paragraph of my first post

Tell your dealer about right away about the flattened primer ball !

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

I definetly mention that to the dealer  they said everything was ok with that it happened to be the thrtle control sensor which put the boat into safe mode.  Going to test it out this weekend to see if all is well .

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Please mention that flattened primer bulb to the dealer again, I cannot  stress enough the importance of the symptom and the problems it could cause in the future. When you pick the boat up  ask what they did to fix the bulb flattening situation. If possible, they should test run the boat on the water or at least  go for a ride with you to be sure everything is working correctly and to your satisfaction.

If you take the boat out this weekend, and you have any type of surging, loss of power, engine stoppage, or especially  if the bulb flattens again, do not run the boat at high speed and head back to the dock. It would  then be time to have a frank discussion with the dealer,  service manager, and the  technician.