Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

just another problem yet again

bought a new 90 hp etec last spring and it turned out to be the worse purchase of my life. first of all it spent a total of 4 weeks at the dealer last summer because it would quit while out on the water and we had to use the trowelling motor to get back to the boat lauch. The first time i had it at the shop they swapped out a bunch of parts off another motor to try and figure out the problem and told me they had been consulting with BRP techs. When they supposedly fixed the problem I had it out for 2 weekends and again was left stranded. Took it back to dealer and they had it for almost a week and a half again. This time they said it was fixed but wasnt going to warrenty it because they said i used bad gas. After questioning how that could be because other boaters in the area use the same fuel from the same place and have had no issues i was told not to bring it back to them for warrenty work. after that we didnt really venture far on the water for what was left of our season because we was nervous of getting stranded. Today we decided to head out on the water for the first time this season and never even left the boat launch because the motor wont go in reverse without making a bad grinding noise. So now i have to try to find the time to take a day off work to travel over an hr to another dealer and then find the time to take off to travel another to pick it back up. Then still wont want to venture far once fixed in fear i get stranded on the water again.

Spent 13 000 on something that has been nothing but problems and frustration. It has ruined the boating experience for me and my family. wish i had never purchased this motor. Unfortunitly im stuck until i can sell it without losing to much and putting a different brand of motor on my boat so myself and my family can enjoy going back out on the water again without wondering what will go wrong next and when.

Admiral

Re: just another problem yet again

We are very sorry to hear that your Evinrude has not lived up to your expectations. Often an intermittent anomaly is hard to find and some in-depth troubleshooting skills are required.

Please include the dealer name and your engine serial number in an email to  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html .  They will look into your situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sorry but I did this last time and the only thing that came out was they said they would open a file and to call if there was anymore problems they would document it. I bought this for fishing and would like to spend my spare time fishing rather on the phone with brp or taking time out of a busy schedule of work to travel out of town to a dealer that I didn't even purchase this product let alone spend hundreds of dollars in fuel to do so. Very very unhappy with evinrude and brp
Skipper

Was told by my local dealer that they would not welcome my warranty work at there dealership. It is very sad that BRP and their dealerships will not stand behind there product and make customers happy. Just hope I can be on the water at some point this season as that's where my family and I had planned on being this weekend.
Admiral

BRP stands behind their warranty. Have you informed them of this latest problem and of what your dealer stated to you? If not, do it.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I am calling on Monday because the previous email from last year says to call from Monday to Friday. Will be also contacting the local dealer on Monday morning as well. just hoping I'm not denied service again.

I have an engine with less then 25 hrs on it that has spent more time in the shop then on the water so and I'm starting to get very aggravated.
Skipper

I informed BRP the first time I was in contact with them and it seems that nothing was done about it but I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Skipper

I am so sorry to hear about all of your problems I am on etech number four and I have had some problems but if my dealer could not handle it BRP was there for me within days. Even a new power head was delivered within days and I was never off the water longer than a week. Your dealer should be taking care of all your problems. You did buy it from your local BRP authorized dealer? BRP stands behind all of their customers liker nobody else.

Skipper

Yes the dealer is an authorized dealer. I found out when they was changing stuff on it last time though the mechanic wasn't a licensed brp technician. They had it 2 and a half weeks the first time and after all was said and done they said I had an air leek in the fuel line. Run it two trips with maybe a couple hrs on it and it left me on the water again. Took it back in and after about a week they said it was my fault and that it was bad fuel.
Had the salesman even tell me that I was inconveniencing him.
So frustrated that after buying something new and having it broke more then it runs. Contacting BRP again tomorrow in hopes that I can get somewhere with them this time. I have 3 bombardier snowmobiles, a can am side x side and this evinrude and I'm ready to sell them all and go to a different brand.
Sorry for the rant just frustrated
Admiral

Even if  you call, be sure to send an email to the address posted earlier.