Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

06 evinrude E-Tec 225 overheating?

Model No
E225DHLSUA
Serial No
2006 model
My 06 model E-Tec keeps saying it's over heating and buzzer coming on console but it's not over heating its been to the dealer for lots of new parts and acidized bath and new Ecm and wiring its been hooked up to a pyro and it shows it's not over heating if anyone has any info on this please help!! Before I make the call and just buy a new one I'm tired of dealing with it
Admiral

Re: 06 evinrude E-Tec 225 overheating?

The model number shows that your outboard is a 2007 model, not a 2006.

If the alarm buzzer is coming on and the TEMP or HOT light on your gauge illuminates and the engine slows down to 1200 rpm, then the engine is overheating or there is a short or some type of sensor problem.

What error codes are stored in the engine computer that show which cylinder, how many times, and how hot the motor was?  Did the dealer give you a printout of the engine report that shows all this information.

There are cases where the motor did not overheat but that the EMM - the engine computer -  did get hot and that also illuminates the HOT or TEMP light and slows the motor down. There will be a different error code number stored in the computer memory. Perhaps that is what is happening in your case.

If you can find out what error codes the dealer found, please post them here and we can try to assist you with a fix.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I had same problem on my 2014 eTec 150. My dealer said motor never over heated. He ended up blowing out all lines. Put on bigger water intakes, changed the spring?? I'm guessing on thermostat. So far so good. I was having several Alarms a day. Haven't had any in over 10 hours.
Mate

Sensors been changed and wires and ecm and thermostat water pump dealer did not give me a print out I will try to ask and I will ask them some of the questions yall gave me thanks! Something I also for got to add its will only tell me I'm overheating and reduce my engine power of I'm only over 3500 rpm
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Ryan09876 wrote:
Sensors been changed and wires and ecm and thermostat water pump dealer did not give me a print out I will try to ask and I will ask them some of the questions yall gave me thanks! Something I also for got to add its will only tell me I'm overheating and reduce my engine power of I'm only over 3500 rpm

Just to confirm things, it is the HOT or TEMP light that is coming on when the alarm sounds and the motor goes into the SLOW mode and not the CHECK ENGINE  light. Is that correct?

Now that you say that it only happens above 3500 leads me to believe that you may have a speed related problem or a boat related problem. With the motor mounted too high or with protrusions such as thru-hull fittings, transducers, or improperly mounted trim tabs, the engine could be seeing a disturbed water flow as the boat is going faster. Aerated water does not cool the motor very well.

Your dealer can easily find out if that is the problem by temporarily hooking up a water pressure gauge to the motor and a piece of clear hose to the EMM cooling outlet and run the boat at all speeds. A drop in water pressure compared to the factory water pressure chart and/or air bubbles in the clear line would pinpoint that aeration is happening as the boat is going faster and the cause the engine to overheat.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Correct engine light does not come on only over heat light and buzzer and will reduce engine power if I don't back off and let the light go away
Mate

i have a 2011 etec 225-- just came off warranty; it has run wonderfully for many years but just recently i get the overheat alarm at idle speed sporadically at the dock and underway, in the latter case, it shuts down my engine to low RPMs -- i have not changed my water pump since i bought the engine but she is low hours and her water pump circulation has always been great based upon her pee hole water flow; her water temperature gauge always reads right where it should even though we are in warm water-- florida and SC .  i have gotten into some mud in the low country of SC over the past two summers.  i am thinking new water pump, check thermostats and replace if necessary; also my mechanic says i have one cylinder that seems to run hot and also mentioned that my EMM may be bad??  if anyone has any suggestions i am all ears.  no authorized Evinrude dealers in Beaufort SC.

Admiral

CT17 wrote:

i have a 2011 etec 225--

i get the overheat alarm at idle speed sporadically at the dock and underway, in the latter case, it shuts down my engine to low RPMs

-- i have not changed my water pump since i bought the engine

i have gotten into some mud in the low country of SC over the past two summers

A 6 year old engine without a water pump replacement  and run in the mud is a testament to the ruggedness of the Evinrude design.  Not only that but you exceeded the required maintenance schedule which would have voided the extended warranty if you had it in force.

Your motor requires a dealer service at 300 hours or every 3 years, whichever comes first.

Right now you need a trained tech to service the pump assembly, flush out the whole cooling system including the EMM and VST, service the blow-off valve and the thermostats. Along with those, the rest of the 3 year service should be performed.

Just like if you need a doctor and none are found  in your area, you will have to drive to find an authorized dealer.  You can find dealers by clicking on  http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

Skipper

I'm having the exact issue as the OP on my 2007 E-Tec 150. I'm stumped and frustrated.

It's not a board issue. It's a motor issue. Water is getting into the lower with no problem and there's no cavitation.

Any idea?? What do I do if the EMM is running hot?
Admiral

Intermittent overheating problems have to be systematically checked out one step at a time. First the diagnostic software is needed to find out what areas and how hot and how many times things are occurring. Install a new water pump kit per instructions and the tech should know how to "seat" the driveshaft before re-installing the gearcase.  The water pressure should be monitored at all speeds with a pressure gauge temporarily installed, if needed, and the discharge water from the EMM hose watched for aeration.

You may need a trained tech to help diagnose a hard to find overheating problem.