Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

200hp 07 overheating at idle

I have a 2007, 200hp, 60 degree, (E200DLSUF) Evinrude with around 450hrs which keeps overheating at idle speeds only. (will only idle for approximately 2 - 3 mins.). The motor will run perfectly fine while speeds over 5mph and rpms over 1200. I have replaced the water pump, thermostats, spark plugs, checked the water pressure relief valve and still the same problem occors. The motor seems to sputter when attempting to get up to speed, but once up to an "acceptable" speed everything is rinning fine. The overheating problem occurs even when the ears are hooked up to the motor. I have also added a new pisser nozzle (overboard nozzle) to make sure there will be enough back pressure to the motor when in idle. There only seems to be around 4 - 5psi when in idle at around 150 degrees F. The motor does not seem to be any more warm than would be expected for a motor to be. All of the water out of the pisser is cool enough to hold in your hand and the same for the water that comes out of the propeller. When the engine horn sounds for engine fail, the motor will then be placed in low rpm mode. I can turn the engine off and immediatly turn it back on and the engine will run again for another 2-3 mins and the alarm will sound again. Has anyone ever solved this problem, I am hearing that is seems to be a common issue with evinrude e-tec motors. I am looking for anyone with any advice before I take the motor in to a tech to look at. If you are stading on the starboard side of the boat looking at the EMM, the light to the far left (closest to the Aft) is lit up. 

Admiral

Re: 200hp 07 overheating at idle

jtparker wrote:

I have a 2007, 200hp, 60 degree, (E200DLSUF) Evinrude

I have also added a new pisser nozzle (overboard nozzle) to make sure there will be enough back pressure to the motor when in idle. There only seems to be around 4 - 5psi when in idle at around 150 degrees F.

All of the water out of the pisser is cool enough to hold in your hand and the same for the water that comes out of the propeller. 

Mr. Parker,

There should be no backpressure or any type of restriction on the outflow water from the tell-tale. If you did anything to raise the pressure by modifying the 3/8" inner diameter water tube in the flusher port in the aft part of the motor, that is a bog NO-NO.

With that overboard discharge port put back to stock, the engine water pressure at idle should be closed to 5 psi, or there is a problem with the pump output volume. Testing can only be done in the water, never on a hose.

A tech would use the diagnostic software to find out which head got hot and triggered the alarm, or find out it was an overheated EMM from something restricting the water tell-tale which  provides cooling water to the EMM and fuel vapor separator.

Overheating at idle is not a common problem with Evinrude E-TEC outboards, some abnomality is causing that.  A trained tech should be able to troubleshoot the problem for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

What I did to the outboard discharge was add P/N 0436726. The problem still existed when the motor was in the water or hooked up to the hose before and after that part was added. Also, the same problem occurred before and after a new water pump and thermostats were added. Would low/no oil in idle cause something like this?Oil pressure sensor?

Mate

UPDATE:

Took the motor in to get diagnostics and 55 volt circuit below range (code 17) came up and the capacitor was replaced. Still had the same issues with the engine being put into safe mode. The motor is getting good water flow through the engine and EMM. Stator and flywheel magnets are all good. Mechanic recomended me to another shop and having the boat taken there this Friday to get checked out. He believes the issue is a bad EMM and may need a new one. Not too excited about spending $1500

Highlighted
Admiral

Have the other shop give you a printout or better yet a .PDF file  of the EMM report and post it here so we can see the temperature trends and the service codes over time.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.