Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Benefits of XD-100 EMM program

I have a new 2018 E-TEC 60 with about 12 hours on the clock and one month of use in the Gulf of Mexico salt water.  I would like to program the engine to run on the XD-100 setting and of course exclusively use XD-100 also.  I've gotten advice (free of course) from several people, including the local Evinrude mechanic that it would be better to run XD-100 but keep the EMM set to run TC-W3.  I find that advice a little conservative and very subjective and more of a "Belt and Suspenders" approach to preventive maintenance.

Are there benefits or drawbacks to running on either setting...assuming I plan to run XD-100 all the time.  Cost is not really an issue, but still I would rather not spend the extra $50 or so a year to burn more oil than necessary or beneficial.

Thanks

Todd

Captain

Re: Benefits of XD-100 EMM program

[ Edited ]

On some of the higher HP G1s like the 250 HO they don't allow the xd100 to be selected. They recommend using xd100 also. Its also stated in the operator manuals that tc3 mode recommended for high performance applications. On the new G2s this capability doesn't exist, there is only tcw3 mode. A lot of people including me still use xd100.

On my 200HO g1 I set it to tcw3 mode and used xd100. For $50.00 a year I would use xd100 on tcw3 mode.

Admiral

Read your operator's guide. If you do a lot of high-speed running, heavy duty use, or in commercial applications, it is best to run XD-100 a the TC-W3 setting for best protection and prevention of internal corrosion in a saltwater environment.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

@BluewaterBillwrote:

Read your operator's guide. If you do a lot of high-speed running, heavy duty use, or in commercial applications, it is best to run XD-100 a the TC-W3 setting for best protection and prevention of internal corrosion in a saltwater environment.

I've read the guide.  It says XD-100 is the preferred oil for my outboard and that I can have the dealer program it to run exclusively on XD-100.  There are no caveats about conditions, type of use or anything other than not to use anything other than XD-100 if programmed to do so.  

I have a hard time understanding how any particular oil used in any amount or type can prevent internal corrosion in a saltwater environment...at least compared to any other.

Based on the owner's guide information and the fact that Evinrude is willing to warranty this motor for 10 years I'm not sure I understand the benefit to "over oiling" but I'm open to more inforamtion if it exists.

Admiral

The Predelivery and Installation Manual that the dealer is required to follow states:

The TC-W3 oil type setting is the standard setting
for all outboards.

Set TC-W3 for:
Operation with all TC-W3 outboard oils including
XD30, XD50, or XD100.
• Applications requiring maximum lubrication.
• Extreme applications (commercial or harsh conditions,
racing or other high performance operation).
• Use this setting with XD100 outboard oil in
extreme applications

The XD100 setting provides an option to run the
outboard at a reduced oil injection rate. This setting
REQUIRES the use of Evinrude XD100 outboard
lubricant and is not recommended for all
applications.

IMPORTANT: The XD100 setting is not available
on all models.

Use the XD100 setting for:
• Conventional use (runabouts, cruisers)
• Moderate applications

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.