Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Wes Meeks

I'm having the same issue as some of the previous people. My 2014, 75 HP Etec blows the power fuse as soon as I turn the key on. Tilt and trim works fine from motor and throttle box, but fuse blows immediately when the key is turned on. I have no pinched wires or anything visibly wrong. What could be causing this? This is my third Etec, but the first one I have ever had an issue with. Please advise!
Admiral

Re: Wes Meeks

There are a number of places where a short could occur both in the boat or on the engine.

Your motor is within the 3 year warranty period, I assume, so if nothing is obviously shorted that you can see, allow your dealer to troubleshoot and repair what is needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

My computer was bad, covered by warranty! Still not very excited about a year old motor leaving me stranded that cost that much money. I'm just glad it was covered by warranty
Admiral

EMM (engine computer) failure is pretty rare but have your dealer check a few things that could have contributed to the problem.

If the engine report indicated that there were EMM over-temps, have the EMM and vapor tank cooling lines and fittings cleaned out. If they also happened during engine overheats, then the whole cooling system and water pump assembly should be inspected and/or replaced.

Make sure that there are lockwashers and hex nuts fastening the battery cables - no wing nuts !

Check battery for proper capacity and load test.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.