Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

1991 140hp on a skeeter bass boat won't run well. Smokes like crazy!

This is mt brother's boat. He bought it from the original owner who was a friend of his. The boat supposedly ran fine when he bought it. Long story short...it had been sitting for about 5 years. I told my brother I would try to help get it started so he could sell it. New battery, new fuel that he mixed with a couple gallons of crap gas in the tank, same oil that has been sitting in it (oil injected), new plugs. I gapped them to the same as the plugs I removed (no manuel). The motor turned over immediately and tried to start but just woiuldn't run. Then I sprayed starting fluid into the carbs and got some action. After playing with the throttle a little I finally got it to idle. It sounded a bit choppy and smoked like crazy. I just shut her down and started looking for help. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1991 140hp on a skeeter bass boat won't run well. Smokes like crazy!

Sitting for 5 years probably caused any fuel left in the tank, in the lines, and in the carbs to decompose and form varnish deposits that might take some serious cleaning to remove. There are also recirculation valves, fittings, and hoses that are likely plugged plus the oil system and tank should be drained and flushed out.

That amount of time in addition affects the rubber parts, such as the water pump impeller, hoses, etc. that may require replacement.

Have a trained technician go through the motor completely and most likely rebuild and clean the carbs and the rest of the fuel system. Then the motor may run long enough to determine what other service procedures are needed to make it run well.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks Admiral. I was hoping for some good news. An easy solution maybe? I'll get the old fuel out, old oil out, and some fuel system/carb cleaner and try to run her again; see what happens. Then, undoubtedly, I'll take her to the tech.

Bummer, I fear a big bill in the near future.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Mate

By the way, I forgot to mention this motor looks like it just came off the showroom floor, even after sitting all these years. Depressing she won't run without smoking like me on a fishing trip.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Another option is to buy the factory service manual, learn about the procedures, and teach yourself how to work on the motor.

Good luck !

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.