Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2011 etec 25hp problems

[ Edited ]
2011 25 horse etec nothing but problems this year. Have had It to the dealer 4 times in two weeks, and it still runs like crap!! Low miss, loss of power/rpms, and just flat out dies!!!! I have been an evinrude fan for a long time, but after buying this piece of junk I'm not so sure anymore. My dealer thinks it could be the EMM, but BRP won't send him one to try on my motor because he can't prove that's what's actually wrong with the big blue paperweight!!!!
Captain

Re: 2011 etec 25hp problems

You will need to find out if they have done the basics first and also made sure the fuel pressure is where it needs to be. I would be surprised if the EMM is at fault-just does not sound right and scary to say "he thinks" it is the EMM-are they trained and if he orders one they will send him one-simple as that. Anyone done the 3 year service yet?

Admiral

If you are in the US or Canada called Evinrude Aftersales Support and tell them of your situation. With the serial number call 262-884-5993.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

They have done the 3 year service. EMM has shown that the vapor separator to be bad, replaced that and it didn't help. Showed one coil bad, replaced that, didn't help. Showed the other coil bad, replaced that, didn't help. Apparently a new EMM is on the way, we will see.......
Admiral

Keep us posted. If you are in the US or Canada please give us the serial number, the dealer name, and your contact information. Thank you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I do not know how the EMM can "show" a VST is bad-unless you mean the HP pump set a shorted or open code. I would be asking some questions like which codes are being set and even get a history report and post on here because it seem's they are part swapping until the get lucky and find the right part. I sure hope they have done the fuel pressure tests first.
Skipper

I will try and get some more info/results and post them on here. I just want the damned thing fixed or replaced.supposed to be done today, we will see.
Admiral

Are you in the US?

Skipper

Got the boat back the other day, still misses. Hasn't died on me yet, but it still misses.
Skipper

Yes, I am in the U.S.