Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2013 E-Tech 115......Problem --- Question about new prop

Bluewater Bill,

Thanks for your insight.  The new prop 14x11 had nothing in the box.  I was thinking that I misplaced a part when taking off old prop but.........had thrush washer, spacer and prop nut and cotter pin.

How do I tell if I have the replaceable hub style or not??

Thank you for your patience and understanding..........

Greg

Highlighted
Admiral

If the propeller box was opened before you received it, the hardware was probably removed by someone. Talk to your dealer and get the proper thrust washer and spacer.

The center hub of the prop is removable and can be replaced if it ever shears from a strong impact.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks.  Had enough of attempting to address myself.  Taking boat to Evinrude dealer and letting them address.  Will let you know how things shake out.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Good luck to ya'

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2013 E-Tech 115......The rest of the story

New prop ($150) and "labor to install new prop, hook to computer, print report, replace spark plugs and test ride" ($370.76).  

Spoke with owner and he recommended using Johnson 2+4 fuel conditioner along with Johnson carbon guard gas additives.  

Got boat in water yesterday.  Ran great for 15-20 minutes getting up to 5400 rpms but then I could not get above 4400 reps at full throttle.  Not hestitations at all but puzzled why not able to keep up at the 5400 rpms.

Thoughts and many thanks.....

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

A new prop ?? Not just the hardware needed for your existing propeller?

5400 rpm is too low for your application.  On a pontoon boat, you want the top rpm to be close to the 6000 rpm max rpm -  5800-6000 - with a light load so when you have 10 people aboard with gear along with a full tank of gas on a hot muggy day the engine does not fall below 5500 rpm. You may need the next size lower pitch propeller.

As to the rpm loss, I hate to say it but it should go back to the dealer for diagnosis. It could be something such as a fuel problem or an inoperative exhaust tuning valve in your motor.

Highlighted
Skipper

Many thanks for reply.  With limited time left in the summer here will it harm anything in the engine if I continue to run now????  Many thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

Do not run the motor if you are only getting 4400 rpm out of it. It may be something quick and easy, and as a new engine customer, ask your dealer if they could expedite things for you.

If you read the warranty statement, you as an owner are obligated to get it to your dealer if something is not right. Continuing to operate the motor that is not running per its design parameters could be considered abuse.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2013 E-Tech 115......Problem --- On and on....................

Changed prop and the outboard ran great...............for 2 trips.....not up to 5500-5900 rpms but did get to 5100.  Now yesterday took boat out.  Engine ran at 5100 then backed down to 4100 and then to 3400rpms....full throttle...........

Called dealer and he contacted Evinrude to have regional person come to look at engine.  Unfortunately I have had nothing but trouble and added costs since I bought the boat with 2013 E-Tech 115.  I extremely frustrated and disappointed and I do believe that I have a "lemon" and looking into state (NJ) lemon law.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2013 E-Tech 115......Problem --- On and on....................

[ Edited ]

I'm really sorry that you feel that way and am sorry that you have had these problems. I'm surprised that the dealer did not offer to go for a run with you to check things out to see if it was a fuel delivery problem  in the boat or something possibly that was quick and easy to fix.

Evinrude takes customer comments serriously and will do what they can to correct a stiuation. Please call Evinrude Support at 262-884-5993 with the serial number and relate your experiences to the technician who answers your call. Be sure to have the engine serial number on hand when you contact Evinrude.