Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2016 30HP Evinrude ETEC

Just put one of these on a 15.5' Zodiac. Took it out for a test last week and ran it about 2 1/2 hours for its first run. Engine ran great most of the time but on about 5 occasions when we pushed the throttle to 4500 rpm quickly, after about a minute the engine would automatically cut down to under 1000 rpm. We never stalled out and we were able to bring the engine back to normal speeds. No lights or alarms were tripped off when this drop occurred.When gradually increasing speed, we did not run into this problem and the engine ran superbly.

I did check with customer support, but was not able to speak with a tech. Instead got a call center person and they went back and forth with a technician who thought it was a fuel delivery problem and might be a problem with my gas tank.

The gas tank is the 6 gallon tank that Evinrude provides with the engine, along with the rigging. I did notice that the connections had a small gap both to the motor and to the tank. 

Is there any explantion as to whay may have caused this problem?? Right now my plan is to replace the tank and rigging with the West Marine 6 gallon, but want to see if there might be anything else that could have caused it.

Admiral

Re: 2016 30HP Evinrude ETEC

You should be talking with your dealer as they were the ones who setup and tested your motor.

From your description, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem that is easily tested with a pressure gauge, clear line, and a vacuum gauge as taught in the factory training centers.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.