Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

300 HP G2's

I am interested in buying a used boat that has twin 2015 300 hp evinrude G2's with around 45 hours on each, but i've heard that these engines have several problems. This is making me hesitate with the purchase because i cannot afford to replace the engines if they're sour. I could really use some feedback from actual owners of these engines. also what red flags should i look for in the engines when i go to see the boat.

thank you 

Admiral

Re: 300 HP G2's

As with any new product there are often some "hickups" that show up after they are in the hands of the consumer. The minor  issues were taken care of promptly by the factory.

Before you purchase any used motor, have a trained technician check them over thoroughly, print out the engine reports for you, and check that all applicable service bulletins and campaigns are complied with.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Warning i have 2 etec 300 engines with low hours and they are garbage. The evinrude has made my experience a nightmare i bought them when i went to the miami boat show. I have low hours on them and i going to get rid of them the minute the yamaha dealer here in my city gets more in because they are backorder. Dont go by price because in the long run it is going to cost you more,

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with the Evinrude 300 HP motors.

Please contact the factory with the engine serial numbers at 

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have a 2016 300 G2 and have had a few steering fluid leaks from seals that were replaced under warrenty.

Then a few hours later, the top casting of the steering unit cracked and leaked. Entire steering unit was replaced with NEW updated unit. Don't let anyone tell you that BRP does not know they have an issue and have built an updated unit. They know!

I have had issues with low oil alarm since new and still a problem.

Waterpump and thermostats and flow valve were replaced at 500 hour service and it had always run at 150 f and now runs at 130 f

Dealer and factory can't figure it out and they have had boat for over a month.

BRP should be ashamed

Admiral

We are sorry to hear that your experiences with an Evinrude outboard have not met your expectations or ours.

Please contact BRP Evinrude and explain your situation at  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Skipper

I have a 250HOG2 that had some issues in the beginning all software related. When BRP came out over a year ago with a new MAP all my issues disappeared.At WOT 5800 rpm water pressure 40 lbs, engine temp 145 degrees, doing 65 MPH. Could not be happier. It is very importand to have a well trained technician  BRP certified work on your engine.

Skipper

What dealer did you sell them to and what boat where they on . What size prop did you use ?  what shaft where they ???

Thanks