Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

4stroke 115evenrude

So I just bought this boat from a guy and it is a 4stroke 115 evenrude the guy told me that I need to do a gas to oil mixture. Is this true?
He would run the boat for us and then it would die after it couldn't suck anymore gas. We are replacing fuel lines and things like that but I'm
Thinking if he was doing a gas to oil mixture that maybe why it was dying ?
Captain

Re: 4stroke 115evenrude

4 stroke is separated gas and oil, that's the point of it.
I'm just curious, do you see a oil fill cap on the motor anywhere? If you dont, I'd bet it's a 2 stroke.Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you. Good luck!
Admiral

What is the complete model number of the motor so we can determine exactly what outboard you have?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I'm trying to find the model number right now and I don't see one... Also I think the guy lied to us. I don't think it is a 4 stroke engine because we do not see a dip stick or oil cap.
The only numbers I see on the engine are as followed:
115993r
J0002172
And then it does say cc1632 by the tail fin
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Your motor is a 1979  115 HP  2-stroke Evinrude outboard according to the model number, 115993. The gas oil ratio has to be 50:1 or 1 pint oil to 6 gallons of gas.

You can order owners manuals and service manuals through    http://www.outboardbooks.com/

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.