Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

60 ETEC Safety Kill Switch Help Needed Please !

Motor will crank but, not fire after doing a safety check on my pull cord motor kill switch. Pulled my killswitch cord and motor shutdown. Replaced ignition killswitch cord retainer and now motor will only crank but not fire. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
Mate

Re: 60 ETEC Safety Kill Switch Help Needed Please !

Replaced ignition/ key switch / kill switch w/ lanyard as I didnt touch anything else but, this did NOT correct problem. Motor continues to crank strongly but, gives no effort to fire.
Admiral

You will have to have a technician troubleshoot the ignition system or review the steps that you did before. It is possible to have a completely separate problem occur while you are working on solving a different one.

Post a picture of your key switch and kill switch and lanyard so we know what type you have.

The model number of the motor could be of help also to us.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Mate

ETEC60ENATION.jpgETEC60ENATION2.jpgETEC60ENATION3.jpg

Mate

Close up image of ignition shows new part installed yesterday.
Mate

Please disregard the above Photobucket Image, it is irelevent.
Highlighted
Mate

Previous to running an " operation check " on pull cord boat was having absolutely no issues or symptoms that would lead me to believe service was needed. Motor ran as normal during fresh water flush previous to pulling kill cord. Following this " test " crank but, no successful start began immedietly. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions that may assist in suggestions. Appreciate everyones help in advance. Thank you BluewaterBill !!

09' ETEC 60 with approx. 250 hrs.

2nd owner & have owned for last 6 yrs

Motor and all components associated with motor have been well maintained by local authorized technicians. I am very meticulous about preventative maintenence and keeping components cleaned/lubed and functional at all times for peice of mind.

Computer failed within last 12 months and has been replaced & reprogrammed with OEM component at Authorized ETEC Service Facility. Fuel Injectors, Fuel Line Incl. Bulb And Fuel Water seperator, Spark Plugs, Motor mounted filter, Impeller, Lower Unit Oil, Thermostat have all been replaced or serviced accordingly within last year as preventative maintenance due to running fishing charters with this boat/motor.

Motor Model# E60DSLSEC

ETEC60ENATION4.jpg

Admiral

That is the integrated safety switch style where pulling the lanyard physically turns the switch to OFF, yet if the driver falls out of the boat, a passenger can restart the motor and go to assist the driver.  It has nothing to do with starting or not starting the engine.

You can reposition the switch by loosening the locking nut on the front and allowing the switch to move deeper into the control box. That may be the "thru the dash" style switch that is very long and may not fit inside the controls.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Above image with red lanyard is the part I replaced hoping this would allow my operation to return to normal as motor operation was perfect previous to pulling the cord for a " test ". I replaced pullcord after " Test " and motor will only crank but, not start. Replaced ignition switch entirely thinking maybe something internal broke when I ran the " test " but, motor still cranks without start.