Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
jm
Captain

E-TEC 225 "acts" like it comes out of gear.

I have a 2005 225hp E-TEC.  When running down the lake at about 4000 RPM, I increased power for more speed, and the motor acted like it came out of gear.  I thought I had spun the hub in the prop.  However, it seemed to run fine until I hit about 4000 RPM.  I tried replacing the prop, but it still acts the same.   I also noticed the first time I started it (after I changed the prop) the motor would not increase PRM.  I turned off the motor and restarted it and it seemed to run fine, until I hit the 4000 RPM mark, then the engine “revs up”.  I don’t hear any noise, so I think I have an electrical problem.  Any ideas?

Admiral

Re: E-TEC 225 "acts" like it comes out of gear.

If the motor was jumping out of forward gear, you would hear and feel a heavy thunk and the motor would jump.

What you are describing sounds like ventilation - often erroneously called cavitation. Either air or exhaust is leaking into the prop blades causing them to "unload" and rev up the motor. A prop with less cup or a different blade design could be the problem.  Something new attached to the transom or a thru-hull fitting could be disrupting water flow.

You also could have a prop hub that is slipping. Try another prop that was just like your first one to see if the prop is the culprit. What was the make, style, and size of the original prop and the replacement prop?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

jm
Captain

The prop is a 14 1/2 x 23. The prop has worked fine for 7 years. If the hub isn't slipping, what can cause cavitation after all this time? Is there something in the lower unit or exhaust that can cause this?
jm
Captain

Can carbon build up in the exhaust pressure fitting cause this condition?
Admiral

[ Edited ]

did you replace gearcases or have it worked on recently? the 225 HO model and the later Magnum model gearcases have a plastic seal ring at the propshaft bearing carrier at the end of the gearcase opening. If that is damaged or missing, you could have a problem.

Different props have different ring requirements such as one for a Renegade 4 blade prop.

What is your engine model number and what are the props make and models?  Are they genuine Evinrude props or an off-brand?

You may need to have an experienced technician go for a ride with you to determine what the problem is.

Another thing to check is if someone left out a thrust washer or used the wrong one where the front of the prop that enters the gearcase opening, wobbled around and ground away the grooves that act as an exhaust seal.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

jm
Captain

I haven't had any work done, and the prop is part of the original equipment. The more I think about it, it acts like cavitation at a specific RPM . That's why I was wondering if carbon build up in the exhaust pressure fitting can cause the problem.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The exhaust pressure fitting - very often neglected and not serviced correctly - only fine tunes the mixture and timing to the engine though its pressure readings to the EMM. It has nothing to do with the prop or ventilation (not cavitation)

These links may help to understand propellers better:

PROP VIDEO     Propeller Selection - props explained

Propeller Selection Guide Book

PROP BOOKLET

Highlighted
jm
Captain

Thanks for the help.  You guys are great.  I'm taking the boat to a E-Tec dealer on Thursday.  

Admiral

Be sure to let us know what they find out.

jm
Captain

I got my boat back from the dealer.  They said the "clutch dog" was out of adjustment by 3/16".  They think the amout it was out of adjustment was ok until the clutch dog got a little wear.  Then when under a heavy load it would act like it was coming out of gear.

I guess they know what they are talking about.  However, I can't find a "clutch dog" in my manual.