Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E225DPX Rigging Tube Issue

I just bought and had installed a new Etec G1 E225DPX to replace my 1995 200 Oceanrunner on my 1995 Hydra Sports 2150 WA. I only have a couple of hours on it so far and I am really impressed with the engine. The only issue I have is that the rigging tube keeps popping out of the rubber boot on the engine. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said it is a common problem with etecs and there is nothing that can be done. He showed me a couple of other boats he had there with the same issue. Basically anytime the engine is turned or tilted the rigging tube pops off. Is there a fix for this problem?
Admiral

Re: E225DPX Rigging Tube Issue

If you are using the correct rigging tubing, it fits in the opening between the inner and outer wall of the rigging grommet on the front of the motor and secured by a hose clamp.  The tubing should make a loop to as not put a strain on it when the motor is turned side to side or tilted up.

Rigging grommet V6.JPG

Rigging.jpg

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

The rigging tube is a standard black type flexible corrugated plastic, I believe it is 2" in diameter it is
secured with a hose clamp and is like you mentioned between the inner and outer wall of the grommet on the engine. It only has the control cables and wire harness running through it. The fuel and hydraulic steering lines run outside the tube. It is looped and does not appear to be strained. It just does not seem to be gripping the rigging tube tighty enough. Even without turning the engine I can tug it right out with minimal effort. I have tightened the clamp down enough that it starts to deform the tube, I dont want to go any tighter because I am concerned it will damage the rubber grommet. The dealer said the only option I have would be to go with a zippered canvas type sleeve but he said that they aren't water proof or very durable and would most likely have to be replaced every couple of years. I had the same type rigging tube on my 95 ocean runner for 23 years and never had an issue, of course that was slotted directly into the lower cowl and had a metal plate holding it in. Everything on these engines that I have seen or read about seems to be engineered very well, so I am not sure what is being done wrong with this.
Admiral

Rigging tube mesh sleeve.JPG

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I am purchasing the soft expandable rigging tube you indicated in your last post. I assume since it is not rigid it cannot be clamped into the engine grommet the same as the rigid tube. Is it clamped or zip tied over the engine grommet. How should it be properly secured to the engine.
Admiral

It is a soft close-knit mesh and can work similar to a "Chinese handcuff".   You fold the engine end inside the mesh tubing for about an inch and insert that end between the walls of the grommet. Using a large ty-rap or two fastened together cinch down on the grommet to hold the mesh in place.

A length of that mesh used to be included with new engines some years back as it made a sanitary looking rigging tube for all the lines and hoses.

Admiral

0343912   SLEEVE, Fuel & electrical

Highlighted
Admiral

0343912   SLEEVE, Fuel & electrical  

Skipper

I ordered the part you suggested (0343912) and spoke to my dealer about it installing it. I told him I wish there was a split sleeve type option so all the cables, hoses and lines did not have to be removed and reinstalled.  He said there is a zippered type canvas sleeve they make but he has never used it so couldn't tell me much about it he said I might not be happy with the braided sleeve instead of the rigid tube, said that it is not as durable as the rigid tube and will most likely have to be replaced in a few years, untimately he aggred to re-rig the engine with the braided sleeve.   I will post back when finished and let you know how it went. 

Thanks for your help

Skipper

Was just looking on line at this product, it is pretty cheap and might be worth a try.  What is you opinion on it.  It appears to be a split flexible sleeve with a heavy duty velcro closure.

https://www.wirecare.com/searches?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search%5Bterm%5D=DWN2.50BK