Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Engine question, broke in half

IMG_1488.JPG

Hey all. Interesting day for me yesterday. I had a 2012, 250 HP with less than 50 hours on it. My son and I were on plane running around 50 in a 30 ft channel when I get something that flat spun us 360. I have had work done before and engine work but never had this kind of damage. What is strange to me is the minimal damage on the lower unit but as you can tell everything broke. With the force and damage I assume it will be a total loss? I have insurance, etc... just curious if you all think it can be saved with that much force or do engine shops have a harder time saving vice say a car in a wreck? Also, since they gave moved to G-2 how do I get another engine of the same value if it is a loss or will they just take me to the G-2. Thanks all and my son and I are ok. 

Captain

Re: Engine question, broke in half

Lucky both you and your son are OK. if someone has serviced that gearcase then loose bolts would be no.1 canidate if no signs of impact damage-hard to see in the photo. They still make G1's in that HP so I would be wanting a complete new engine and just for giggles see what the upgrade cost would be to a G2. I am guessing you are insured?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Had the gearcase been removed for any reason recently?

Could you post better pictures and close ups of the gearcase and mid-section?

I assume that the prop blade is bent, but are there any impact marks on the bottom of the hull or the nose of the gearcase?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply all. I will take a few more photos when I get home. Only time the engine has been touched since I have owned it was for the warranty cross over. Engine only had 17 hours when I bought it.

One of the props is bent but I think that happend when it impacted the cowling (fiber glass is knicked up) and the underside.

The nose of the gear case is not smashed in but has some marks. Again,  I will take a photo.

Thank you.

Captain

There is no way a SST prop blade can get bent by hitting the engine cowl so yes it looks in the one photo that one blade is bent badly so that would of hit something.

Skipper

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

Sorry about the side imagine of the lower unit photo but I do not want to move it to much since I am awaiting word from insurance company if I am authorized to cut the lower unit off to tow. Thanks for all the help.

Admiral

If the insurance company is going to repair the motor with a new midsection and gearcase assembly, make sure they include new lower and upper motor mounts. 

Is there wood inside the water inlet holes in the "bullet?"  I have seen those types of scratches on the gearcase nose if it had impacted a submerged stump or log floating under the surface. The soft water-logged wood did not cave-in or take chunks out of the lower unit. It may also explain why the prop blade is folded over and not left with a ragged edge that occurs if hitting rocks.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you sir. I will for sure ask for that.