Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

My 2002 150 Ficht is having starting issues with the key switch

i have a 2002 150 Ficht ram. A few weeks back I would go to start the boat and the key switch would not start the motor. It has a new battery . So I bought a new key assembly for that motor. It worked fine the first day. One week later I go to start it you have to turn the key multiplal times for it to crank. Is there anyone out there that can help. 

Admiral

Re: My 2002 150 Ficht is having starting issues with the key switch

Hi,

We need some more information to be able to help you out.

When you say the motor would not start, did the starter motor engage the flywheel and rotate it but the motor not fire up -  or did nothing happen when you turned the key to start?

If nothing happened and you turned the key to start, did the gauges come on? Did the tilt and trim work?

If the gauges came on, did you try wiggling the shift lever on the control box? There is a neutral safety switch inside to keep it from starting in gear. It could be intermittent or out of adjustment.

Your engine wiring could be at fault, the power distribution panel on the motor is known for open circuits, and your engine uses a delay relay for engergizing the starter solenoid. Any one of those items or connections somewhere could be at fault. A trained tech would be needed to troubleshoot the system and wiring if the problem is not an obvious fix.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Re: My 2002 150 Ficht is having starting issues with the key switch

The gauges do come on. The alarm beeps and it won't crank will look at the neutral safety switch. Thank you