Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Need help identifying this 50 HP

Does it really look like a 50 HP? It looks like 2cylinders..
Admiral

If the large round wiring connector that attaches to the boat's wiring harness is red, your 50hp is a 1973 through 1975

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill,

i will I’ll see the motor tomorrow morning, are there any tips on what to look for?  Are the 50hp engines 2 cylinders?  I will look for the connector color, want if it’s not red?  Any other color connector associated with the 50 hp engines?  I assume that from the pictures, you believe it to be 50hp.

thank you kindly for all your help and comments.  

Admiral

You mentioned that it was a 50 hp, and I gave you the years that a 50 hp was made according to your  pictures and the ignition type. They made several 50 hp designs over the years with 2,3, and 4 cylinders.

There was also a 2 cyl. 55 hp that looked similar to yours.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Awesome, tomorrow morning I will take pictures myself, and send better pictures, plus I will look closely to find numbers on the block, and any other number I can find on the engine.  Again, I can’t thank you enough, for all your thoughts and info.

you know your Evinrudes.... 

one thing the the seller told me, is that my 1994 Evinrude 15hp engine I am trading him, will use the same controller box as the50 he is selling me, that kind of worries me.  Does it really?  He removed all the cables from the 50hp and says I can just put my cables from the 15hp on it.

i will also try that tomorrow while I’m at his house.  I’ve traveled over 300 miles (Pittsburg) to pick this up.

Highlighted
Admiral

According to the decals on the motor cover, it is a 1975.

Skipper

Bill, you were right on the Money. Found the tag and the motor is a 1975, cranked right up, and ran and sounded smooth.

One question, the water come out just over the lower unit, I asked if there was a hose or some visual indicator of the water pumps spray, he said No. is that correct???

Thanks,

Ivan
Admiral

Back then there was no overboard indicator

Skipper

Bill,

how about a Tilt and Trim that will fit on here?  i looked at the Panther and CMC but It moves the engine away from the transom and my steering cable does not have enough length, so I need to keep the engine mounted on the transom.  

do you know of another option, maybe original?  can I find a part number for the correct fit?

Admiral

Your motor is over 40 years old. Routine service parts are available but you may have to scrounge for less common parts.

The trim and tilt kit part number is 172858 and that has been obsolete for years. You may find a junk motor at a dealer somewhere and buy it for parts.