Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Need help identifying this 50 HP

I see some trim units for 60hp and up, would that work?

Admiral

Your motor is too old for existing trim units

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Been looking at the CMC and Panthers, seems like the CMC can handle up to a 130hp engine, and Will have to move my steering column back to make up for the off set, instead of buying an old unit that will then have to fix.

Skipper

Is there a way to know if the engine is overheating?  Or is there a way to know if the water pump fails while out in the water?  Since it has no water stream?

Admiral

there is a temperature switch on the cylinder head that sounds the horn inside the control box when the motor gets too hot.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill, 

i bought the 50hp engine, after seeing it start right up, good water flow and gear engaging and running just fine.  No leaks,prop looks good also.  The seller insisted that my remote control unit would work just fine with this motor.  I told him I didn’t think so, but he reassured me he knew these engines very well.  Got home, put power on it, to see if it would start and nothing.  Red cannon plugs fit in to each other, but no juice to starter.  Throttle and gear box cables didn’t work on the engine either.

any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ivan

Admiral

We cannot fix or troubleshoot your motor as we are not there, but we can advise, recommend, and suggest.

The starter electrical system will have to be examined and tested. A factory service manual is your best investment if you are familiar with mechanics, electrics, test equipment, etc. Another option is to have a trained technician check it out for you.

Skipper

Is Selco manual a good source of reference?  I been looking for a OMC book, 

Admiral

factory manuals are the only complete ones and have illustrations, pictures, and explanations.

www.outboardbooks.com

Skipper

Thank you for the idea.  I found them all online and purchased them all.  At great savings.  I have reached out to a technician, to troubleshoot.  I called the seller Andy he had no problems starting the 15 hp eng I traded him.