Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

No spark Help

[ Edited ]

I have a 2012 Etech 30HP outboard with No spark at the coil/plugs. It had spark last year this year nothing. I have so far, changed the trim relay as it was bad, changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor (Not positive it was bad) and removed the kill switch wire (black/yellow) from ignition. Also cleaned battery terminals/connections just to make certian I had connection.  The starter spins fine, but still no spark. I do get a flashing light on the senor ok/fault on the EMM. Does anyone out there have any ideas I would greatly appreicate it.

Admiral

Re: No spark Help

What is the model number?

Did you test and check the integrity of the neutral switch?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have not as I thought the neutral  safety switch killed power to the starter all together. I did however shift it in to foward and the starter did not work at all. Put it back into neutral  and the starter runs engages the engine turns over but still zero spark at plugs or coils either one. Thanks a ton for the reply

Skipper

Almost forgot the model number is E30DPLINA

Skipper

I checked the neutral  saftey switch, it seems to work like its suppose to. The multimeter also shows its in working condition both in the throttle and back by the motor. Any other ideas that would prevent any spark at the coils?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

You may need the services of an Evinrude technician to check over the ignition system for you and to access the EMM on-board computer for any error codes.

While Starting  --   LED diagnostic lights

· If everything is working properly, the four LEDs will light when the engine is cranking.

· LED 1 lights to indicate the 55 volt charging system is functioning correctly and producing at least 30 volts. If LED 1 does not light on V models, check for Code 77, SAC circuit fault.

· LED 2 lights when the EMM has determined the flywheel and crankshaft position, based on input from the crankshaft position sensor. If LED 2 does not light when starting, it indicates the CPS or its wiring has failed, or it cannot get a reading because the engine is cranking too slowly.

· LED 3 lights when all sensors are providing information to the EMM. Again, if LED 3 flashes, check for Code 57.

· LED 4 confirms the stop circuit is not activated. If LED 4 does not light when attempting to start the engine, it indicates the lanyard is not installed, or the circuit is grounded. Again, if LED 4 flashes, it indicates the engine is in shutdown mode because of severe overheat or no oil.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks a million. It is sensor fault or led 3 that flashes so I will check it out.

Admiral

Code 57, if that is what you find, is a safety feature if the motor ever starts to runaway and not throttle back. 

It can also happen if you rev it up out of water where the motor will race with no load on it and you yank the throttle back quickly.  The engine computer senses the high rpm and the low throttle opening so it thinks something is wrong and shuts down completely with a code 57. A dealer has to clear the code and make sure that a fuel leak or linkage problem is not the cause of the issue.