Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

PROP 3 BLADE OR 4 BLADE

Hello guys! i have a Godfrey 20' pontoon boat with a 90hp etec with a 13 1/4 x 15 (4 blade) prop. i was told that i it is better to have a 3 blade prop instead. I'm hoping for some good advise here. Thank you in advance!

Admiral

Re: PROP 3 BLADE OR 4 BLADE

Finding the best prop for your application often is often trial and error.  Most of the time a 4-blade is better for pontoon boats because they run smoother and often work better in the disrubed water flow between the pontoons.

You can try 3 bladed props and see if you notice any difference in performance. The biggest thing to keep in mind is to make sure the motor runs in the 5200-5500 rpm range at full throttle.

What make, model, and size of prop do you have now, what is the best speed, and what is the top rpm with only one or two people aboard?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

hi! the brand is rogue( i hope im speling it wright) stainless 13 1/4 x 15. the speed i guess around mid 20's with my wife and 8 year old dauther. rpms around 5200 . 

Admiral

Since your motor already reaches 5200 with a light load, I doubt that you would gain much, if any, by swtitching to an SSP or a Viper prop. The Viper is made for light fast boats and may not work well at all for you pontoon.

If you have a helpful dealer, perhaps you could try different props but be sure to be within the 5200-5500 rpm range.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Is your engine the regular 90hp Etec or the pontoon series 90?
You may benefit from a 13 pitch "big ear" pontoon boat prop like the Evinrude Hydrus, especially if you are going to carry more than 3 people.
Skipper

not the pontoon series>

Skipper

13 x 13 ?

Skipper

hello! update on my boat. went for a ride on my boat i used an speed app and i was getting 22 mph top speed @ 4800 rpm . what do you think ?

Admiral

@JULIOORO26 wrote:

hi! the brand is rogue( i hope im speling it wright) stainless 13 1/4 x 15. the speed i guess around mid 20's with my wife and 8 year old dauther. rpms around 5200 . 

@JULIOORO26 wrote:

hello! update on my boat. went for a ride on my boat i used an speed app and i was getting 22 mph top speed @ 4800 rpm . what do you think ?

Now we are confused.   Was your 4800 rpm at full throttle today with the same Rogue prop that you got 5200 rpm from a week ago?

Skipper

yes.it is at the shop now. I think maybe a issue with the tachometer.