Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Repower

I'm thinking about repowering, I have a 1996 Johnson Faststrike 150 with sea star pro Hydro steering and want to put on a 150HO E-tec, I was told by someone at a tournament that I did not have to change any throtle cables or steering components that it would be a direct bolt on and hook up,  is this true or not.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Repower

[ Edited ]

That is true they will hook up just like your old engine did. You may need an adapter for the Sea Star steering.

The Postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

Your control will fit the new E-TEC but why not replace control, cables, key switch, oil tank, etc. since Evinrude is kicking in free rigging kits with repowers. Your control box has wear parts such as bushings cams safety switch, and your control cables can't be as good as new. Good luck with the repower, you will be stunned with the performance and fuel savings. When I went from carb outboard to E-TEC (175 hp) I thought my gas gauge was broken because it took so long to move off of full.

Highlighted
Admiral

Browse through this current sales promotion to see exactly what you can get for free if you purchase your new E-TEC by the end of March.

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/promotions/boat-show-sales-event-2012.pdf#zoom=100

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.