Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Thinking about re-powering my 99 Outrage 23

Hi,

New to this site. I have a 1999 Outrage 23 with twin Evinrude 150's. Original to the boat.

Last year I lost the port tilt/trim and have been limping along. Now I have the cash to re-power and everyone says go Yamaha 4 stroke. I'm not so sure about that and i know everyone is going 4 stoke but I kinda wanted to stay with the motors that came with the boat. Any suggestions would be great.

Pat

Captain

Re: Thinking about re-powering my 99 Outrage 23

Well seems Yamaha does have a huge following.  So far I am loving my Evinrude.  If you have a good dealer in your area, then I would suggest you stay with the E-rudes... Smiley Happy

Captain

If your thinking twins again, I would closely look at the brand new G2 I 3 engines. These motors will be slightly lighter which is always a good thing on older transomes. Fuel economy and cool factor x10. They have a lot to offer. Or the standard  g1 150. Also a great choice. No matter which ones you choose expect 30 or 40% or more on fuel economy . That’s real life numbers. The new I3’s will be lighter but not the same in displacement as the V6 model. Nonetheless still kicking out the ponies. Truly a unique new motor that is very linear across the power band which no body else can match.  This is what I have read only. No first hand knowledge. They would look great on the Whaler. Your old gauges will still work. They come available with integrated power steering ( which is totally trick)  that’s my 02c.

Admiral

The new 3-cylinder 150 HP motors are the qietest ever and the lightest 150s currently available. You may want to look into these for your repower if you want twins.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/new-evinrude-outboards.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I repowered my 1995 Pursuit center console 5 years ago.   Before doing so I did extensive research on all options - Mercury, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Evinrude.  I choose two Evinrude 150HP G1 engines for several reasos: lighter weight, better fuel economy, better warranty, lower maintenance costs, simple and very cost effective to winterize yourself and a Platinum level Evinrude dealer within a reasonable distance who worked closely with me and helped me sell my old carbureted two strokes.  After 5 years and more than 400 hours I can absolutely say I made the right choice.  They are the best outboards I have ever had over 55 years of owning outboard motors.  I have only had one issue that requied warranty work and the dealer has been very responsive whenever I have called or brought the boat in for the 3 year/300 hour service.

Highlighted
Captain

Ya baby.  Smiley Happy