Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Wet or Dry?

Going to winterize '79 Evinrude 100 until spring. I have three questions?

1. Should I run the carbs dry to avoid plugging up the jets and risk gaskets;etc. drying out; or leave gas gas in and risk varish buildup from evaporation.

2. Have 21 gallon fuel tank full.. Should I add Stabil and leave in tank; or drain tank and risk condensation and rust in tank.

3.Charge battery; then diconnect it; or hook up a charger. I have a homemade charger (12vdc@500ma) I can hookup.

I was going to pull the plugs; sqirt a little oil in; then turn it over a little. Come Spring ;am going to change filters (have two inline) 

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Wet or Dry?

Running and engine "dry" does not get all the gas out of the carbs. The reamaining fuel often  forms a slucge or varnish over time.  Add a fuel stabilizer such as Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Conditioner per storage directions and run the motor for a while to circulate the treated fuel all through the carbs and lines for protection.

Use Evinrude Storage Fogging Oil and spray it through the carb openings while the motor is running. That way the internal steel parts are protected from rust as well as the cylinder walls.

It is recommended to remove the battery and store it indoors while charging it monthly.

There are many videos and articles online about storing and winterizing motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.