Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

150 H.O. "Engine power reduction" then stalls

Right around 5 hours of usage and today it shut down in the middle of the lake. "Engine power reduction" message appears as it dies. Starts up if I let it sit about 30 minutes and runs for another 30 seconds or so. 18k for a state of the art engine....... I'm just not happy with Evinrude right now. Yes I took it right to the dealer. I was so confident in my research........

Admiral

Re: 150 H.O. "Engine power reduction" then stalls

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience that you have experienced with your Evinrude outboard motor.

If the motor goe into SAFE mode (engine power reduction) that means something essential to the engine's operation has a malfunction and the motor is protecting itself.

The onboard computer(EMM) stores service codes in its memory and assists the technician in determining what has happened, when, and how many times.

Is this a new boat and motor rig or is it an older boat that was repowered with a new Evinrude?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.