Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2017 G2 150 HO - DPS Issue

2017 G2 150 HO with DPS - The past two times using my boat, I noticed that the hydraulic fluid was leaking out of my helm through the filler cap even though it was completely tightened.  This was before I started the motor.  Once I started it, the DPS seemed to be whining pretty loud (louder than the engine idling) until I turned the wheel a little bit and then it would stop.  I used the boat and steering seemed to work ok but it has never made that loud whining sound until this past week and I've had the motor since the beginning of last season.  The DPS has always worked silently and flawlessly.  I have not even touched the sea star filler cap at the helm this season and it was tight so not sure whether I am dealing with two separate issues or a single one.  It seems like the pressure is too great and is forcing it's way up the threads and out.  

Any thoughts?  Ser #05497669  Mod # C150FXHAAD

I also have an issue with the motor completely shutting down that I just posted as well but doubt they are all related.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2017 G2 150 HO - DPS Issue

Fluid leaking out of the filler cap on your helm is often a sign of trapped air in the system. A PowerPurge tool is recommended for complete bleeding of the steering system.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you.  Do you know if that could also cause the DPS motor to whine?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

It depends on the sound. Often it is air in the system or possibly a pressure relief valve releasing. Your dealer should be checking that out for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.