Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2017 G2 150 HO - Motor Shuts Off While Cruising

New to the forum but frequent reader.  Let me first say that I love my G2.  However, the past 5 outings on my boat, my 2017 G2 150 HO has completely shut off while crusing.  It has twice happened just after planing off and 3 other times it has cut off while crusing while at RPMs in the 4000 range.  The motor shuts off as if the kill switch was pulled.  It will immediately start back up and runs normally.  This can be dangerous given the sudden stop if someone were to be following me at a high rate of speed.  This issue is brand new as I did not have this happen all last season.  The motor has about 105 hours and has been excellent up until this.  I read somewhere that there may be an issue with the ignition if it loses electrical contact for a very short period of time and it will send a message to the motor to shut down.  Any thoughts?  Ser #05497669  Mod # C150FXHAAD

Also having an issue with DPS all of a sudden that I will post separately.

Admiral

Re: 2017 G2 150 HO - Motor Shuts Off While Cruising

It will have to be determined if it is an electrical problem or a fuel delivery problem by your dealer then corrected.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you, BluewaterBill.  I have an appointment scheduled with an Evinrude service center for next week for them to take a look at this and my DPS problem.  I'm hoping that it is nothing too serious as I have not really done anything to the boat since last season other than replacing a stereo.  I considered that it could be a fuel delivery problem but the fact that it starts right up immediately and can plane off and run normal without the issue occuring again for a period of time had me leaning towards electrical.  Does the EMM store these so that it will be easy for it to be identified.  I have the 4.3 touch and do not have any fault codes on my diagnostic page when this happens.

Admiral

Certain service codes are stored in the EMM for the technician to access. Not everything is monitored, though. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.