Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

250 2015 3.3 AB dies on hole shot / under load

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have had some issues with my etec for the past few months. Dealer isnt even scheduling appts for 6-8 weeks. Model E250DPZABF with just under 275 hours. Sat with mix of rec 90 and treated ethenal for about 3 months.

Originally motor shook and smoked before dying. Limped home. Now idles and fast idles fine even under load. No active codes. When coming up on plane NMEA 2K data on Simrad says engine power reduction raised. I have instances of CPS (most recent codes) inactive on EV diag. When motor does it will not restart for at least an hour even if I prime and run the fuel pump 20 times.

Replaced fouled plugs
Installed new version VST (with exhaust restrictor fitting installed) other one broke off a schrader valve while testing.
Replaced water separators
Replaced fuel lines and primer bulb up to racor
Cleaned tank pickup
Checked exhaust pressure valve
Relaced thermostats
Engine tuner decarbon

Awaiting fuel pressure test, new CPS sensor, and vacuum test kit to come in for my next test. Does anyone have any other suggestions for where to check? I don't have the service manual yet. Probably on my list of items to buy now.

Also if anyone knows how to and could explain air happing the CPS it would be much appreciated.
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 250 2015 3.3 AB dies on hole shot / under load

[ Edited ]

The engine should have a fuel pressure test run at all speeds along with being connected to the diagnostic software and monitored.  There is a service bulletin 2014-01(W) Revision A that may or may not apply to your engine's CPS. See your dealer for details and inspection.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you but the engine will not run past fast idle under a load. I will look into the service bulletin but my dealer told me 6-8 weeks before they will even schedule appointments. They also told me it would be 3 months just to hook up diagnostic to tell me what oil I was programmed for and they were not pleasant when trying to swap my warranty from previous owner. In fact they just told me no, but they know they are the only option within 100 miles. I'm looking for someone having similar issues. Going to check Reed's, fuel pressure, vacuum test, and replace and air gap the CPS. Any other reccomended checks?
Highlighted
Admiral

Order a factory service manual first and study it to learn your engine systems plus you can follow the troubleshooting chart.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

20200621_115918.jpg

I got the service manual in finally. I also found  a reed that would not close completely. Does anyone know if this could be the issue with motor completely losing power under load? Seems like this would give me issues but not complete failure and the inability to start back up again. Lift pump tested good. New CPS, awaiting new reeds for my next sea trail.