Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

intermittent shut down of engines

Hello I have twin G2 300s that intermittently shut down at cruising speed. I immediately receive fault code 114 and 115 when the control head reboots. I have found this to be very dangerous and nerve-racking when in navigable waters with a lot of traffic. Can someone please give me an idea how to resolve this issue it’s not a fuel problem because the computer shuts down completely and then begins it’s rebooting process flashing the codes I stated above. Already had a few folks injured on my boat when I experienced this problem without warning. please help !
Admiral

Re: intermittent shut down of engines

A G2 system contains a Public and a Private network.  There are 2 networks because they provide redundant signaling between the control head(s) and the engine EMM(s) thus providing an additional safety factor in the event of a loss of communication in one of the networks.

Code 114

Loss of NMEA 2000 network communication - EMM detects no communication on the NMEA 2000 network. Check NMEA 2000 devices, buss cables, tees and backbone cable.

Code 115

Loss of Remote Control network communication EMM detects no communication on the Remote Control network. Check remote control connections, buss cables, hubs and backbone cable.

See your dealer as there may be software updates to the controls and engine that may take care of the problem, but your dealer also has to check for poor connections, intermittent wiring faults, or other interruptions of both networks.  They should also check or replace the key switch if needed as there is an improved design that may or may not be needed on your engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I contacted my dealer and they explained to me that there is an issue with the ignition system being faulty that causes the engines Shut down when the communication is disrupted from the computer. I understand the explanation between the private public system however Evinrude should consider hey recall on the system due to the dangerous nature of the boat powering down immediately. so far from what I’ve read this is a known problem by Evinrude. it makes no sense to have the redundancy susceptible to such a flaw. I am interested to see Evinrude‘s response to The situation. Here’s to hoping Evinrude has improved the ignition system. The potential of and accident or injury from this malfunction is extremely high. Looking forward to your further comments.
Admiral

Our previous posting explained the error codes and what they mean plus mentioned the keyswitch replacement for the intermittent engine shutdown situation.

Dealers have been aware of the malfunctioning keyswitches for some time now along with software updates that may be needed. Service bulletins and technical service tips are available to dealers 24/7.

During business hours Evinrude Support teams help dealers and technicians with difficult troubleshooting situations, if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I just spoke with my dealer this morning concerning what you said. He stated that the keyswitch has already been changed on my engines over a year ago for the same problems that I was having. Confuses me that the initial fix did not work and now the problem has resurfaced dealer states that the keyswitch pushbuttons appear to be the problem and that he has no answer why the problem is back. I look for your input And appreciate the conversation and your willingness to help
Mate

it’s fine is that a new key switch has been ordered for my boat and they are Going to reflash my computer as advised by the Evinrude local service technician